Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Invisible Thread >
  • Invisible Thread

• Invisible Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM

Good quilt stores should have Superior MonoPoly. It is wonderful. Read Superior.com for tips using it.
    Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM

I have been warned to never use it for baby quilts as it is possible their little fingers and toes can caught in a loop accidentally. That's all I have ever heard about it.
    Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM

When I use invisible thread, I only use it for the top thread and use a "regular" thread in the bobbin. I am not sure why I do that, but it always works well for me. I think my sister, an experienced quilter, is the one who said I would have the best results if I did it this way.

Is this a common practice?

Dina
    Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina
    When I use invisible thread, I only use it for the top thread and use a "regular" thread in the bobbin. I am not sure why I do that, but it always works well for me. I think my sister, an experienced quilter, is the one who said I would have the best results if I did it this way.

Is this a common practice?Dina
    I have used it in the bobbin as well; however, there are some tips about using it in the bobbin. Because nylon monofilament stretches, it's a good idea to wind the bobbin slowly. (Fast winding will stretch it.) Metal bobbins are the best because they are less likely to distort at the edges. Even with metal bobbins, you should stop winding before the bobbin is full; two-thirds full is good. Depending on your machine and how the thread was wound, you may need to loosen the bobbin tension, although I don't need to do this on my Bernina 1230.
    Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 AM

When I use invisible thread on the top, I use cotton thread in my bobbin. Someone told me to do this but I don't remember why. It does work fairly well and maybe it would wear longer this way.
    Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM

I use the polyester invisible thread also, it feels so much finer than the nylon!!!!
    Originally Posted by quiltstringz
    I have used the polyester invisible and have been happy with it. I have quilts that areat least 10 years old and that have been washed many times - no issues so far!
    Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammysharon
    I use the polyester invisible thread also, it feels so much finer than the nylon!!!!
    I have both YLI nylon monofilament, which I have used for years, and a couple of brands of polyester invisible thread -- including Superior. Nylon monofilament looks and feels finer than any of the polyester threads I have tried. It makes me wonder what kind of nylon thread people have been using. I believe there are only two good brands of nylon monofilament thread -- the YLI and one other (and the brand name escapes me at the moment). These were the only brands that Harriet Hargrave recommended in her book on machine quilting years ago (have not read the updated version, so maybe she has changed this).
    Old 01-25-2014, 01:01 PM

Same here, Polyester invisible thread.