Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Invisible thread >
  • Invisible thread

• Invisible thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by fivepaws
    Boy, I hope someone out there can help. I am trying to zigzag an applique with invisible thread. Is it possible? I am using that as my top thread and regular thread in the bobbin. The thread does not pick up the bobbin thread. It will be great for about 10 stitches and then skips all over. I have a Viking Designer II and tension is built in. I have threaded and re-threaded several times. Any other clues to success? Thank you, Lynne
    I've never tried it on my sewing machine,but I have tried to use it when I hand quilt. Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time with using a thread that I can't see very well. Also it tends to knot up on me.Like I said maybe I might be doing something wrong,but I have quit using it.
    Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM

I really appreciate all your help. I see that I am not the only one with problems, makes me feel better. Those of you who are successful use what make of thread? I have Sulky invisible using polyester in the bobbin. Thanks so much.
    Lynne
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 AM

I use Sulky too.
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 AM
    Banned

my machine like different mono thread. Some work and others don't. However, you may need to change tension even tho your machine is supposed to do it automatically.
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 AM

I am still learning with invisible thread but I do use it quite often and for some effects I really like it. I keep reading that thread weight plays a big role in the success of your stitching...maybe the polyester in the bottom is just too heavy to stitch with the monofilament? I would definitely try using it in the top and bottom both and see how that works...at least to get through this current project of yours. After getting comfortable with that maybe experiment with other finer threads in the bobbin on scraps to see if you can find a pair that work well together.

I would like to try the sulky monofilament, but so far have only used the inexpensive Dritz brand sold in Jo Anns quilting section. ;) Good luck!
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    I think Candi is probably on to something. The invisible thread is so fine that if you try to sew with a needle that's too large or has too big an eye, the thread doesn't form a loop large enough to be caught by the hook. Skipped stitches.

Try a size 70/10 or even a 65/9 and see if that doesn't clear up your problem.

Since you can't adjust the upper tension, you may be able to compensate by tightening up slightly on the bobbin tension. Good luck! :)

I think you are dead on here Parrot! I should have added that needles seem to play a big role as minor as they may seem. Just to give you an example, I was using a universal needles in my featherweight and for the life of me couldn't get it to stop skipping stitches. I tried rethreading, changing needles, double checking that there was nothing wrong with the bobbin placement. I thought for sure it was the timing. Before taking in to be repaired I switched to a sharp just to be sure and it's been working fine now for weeks. Just that tiny little adjustment of a finer needle with the thread I was using and it runs like new. ;)
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM

I have used very heavy quilting thread in the bobbin and invisable thread in the top with great results. Needle size , plays a BIG issue( the smaller the better) , as well as tension, and good manufacture of the thread. Do not forget about how the thread is coming off the spool , for best results use a cone holder or cup. Sometimes you can make all the tension adjustments ... but of the thread is too tight prior to the tension disks.. sometimes all the loosening is still not going to help.