Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ipad cover >
  • Ipad cover

• Ipad cover

Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by bigbrownowl
    I'm sorry but I really thought this thread was about Ipad covers. A number of posters have made the comment that in the rules that we have all subscribed to, there should not really be any discussion about religious topics. Please can this now stop. I am getting bored.

You are right, sorry. I was trying to difuse the situation and get people to stop flaming.
    Old 12-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Yeah what she said !!!!!!

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    OMG people, really??? What happened to freedom of speech? Are we becoming that picky we turn a simple question into a big religious debate?? I won't buy Christmas cards that say "happy holidays" or seasons greetings, if it doesn't say Merry Christmas, I don't buy it, but I sure don't knock others who do. Children (I don't dare say kids) don't pick at each other the way adults seem to. I normally let people's snide remarks go unanswered but I just find this so utterly ridiculous I just can't stop shaking my head. My theory (which works great for me) if it isn't "LIFE THREATENING" why are you arguing about it??? I'm still shaking my head here, unbelievable and extremely disappointing,,.Wendy
    Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM

All I know is I am hurriedly copying and saving the links to the covers before this thread goes poof.

Peace and tolerance to all.
    Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

The fabric ones are pretty but don't have the full protection that the pads need. DD learned an expensive lesson about pretty vs safe with her IPad.
    I think most people who use Xmas have no idea what it means anyway and will look at you like you are crazy if you try to explain it. I think it looks tacky and in poor taste but don't think the person is against religion if they use it.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-06-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    The fabric ones are pretty but don't have the full protection that the pads need. DD learned an expensive lesson about pretty vs safe with her IPad.
    Fair point BellaBoo - my sister said she liked the one I made her because it had a rigid body to it. The idea of any case/cover is to protect what is inside: I liked the Chicca and Jo pattern because it used strong cardboard to make the body of the cover, and its clever design meant that it could be upscaled successfuly to accommodate any size reader/pad.

Incidentally, we have now made a pouch for our kindles - the whole thing goes into a washable pouch and gives it a bit more protection. Useful for my daughter as she uses it everyday on the train to college.
    Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM

I guess everyone beat me to it while I was double checking, but from Snopes:

"The abbreviation of 'Xmas' for 'Christmas' is neither modern nor disrespectful. The notion that it is a new and vulgar representation of the word 'Christmas' seems to stem from the erroneous belief that the letter 'X' is used to stand for the word 'Christ' because of its resemblance to a cross, or that the abbreviation was deliberately concocted "to take the 'Christ' out of Christmas." Actually, this usage is nearly as old as Christianity itself, and its origins lie in the fact that the first letter in the Greek word for 'Christ' is 'chi,' and the Greek letter 'chi' is represented by a symbol similar to the letter 'X' in the modern Roman alphabet. Hence 'Xmas' is indeed perfectly legitimate abbreviation for the word 'Christmas' (just as 'Xian' is also sometimes used as an abbreviation of the word 'Christian'). "
    Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Just FYI, X is the the letter 'chi' which is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ. It has been abbreviated in this way for many, many years -even in religious documents. If the secular community WERE going to abbreviate it, don't you think it would be C-mas???
    Yes, exactly. That 'X' is not a "space-saver," it says "Christ" - it's even pronounced "Christ".

It's sad that Christians are so far removed from their historical roots that they don't know how sacred that X is, any more. People died for that 'X.'
    Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
    Power Poster

Snopes was featured on one of the tv news magazine shows. One man and woman run Snopes and they decided what is real and what is rumor. They just go with what they believe or what they read online that fits what they think is best. I'm surprised anyone uses that website anymore
    Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Snopes was featured on one of the tv news magazine shows. One man and woman run Snopes and they decided what is real and what is rumor. They just go with what they believe or what they read online that fits what they think is best. I'm surprised anyone uses that website anymore
    Can you please give the source? What TV News Magazine show? SNOPES has been long respected.

What website do you use to verify the truth of things?
    Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Historically "X" was an abbreviation for Christos (sp?) in Greek or so my pastor told me. I figure that I have a right to write the entire word "Christmas" as I like. I also think that others have the right to not do so. Same thing with saying "Merry Christmas" - I'm a Christian and I use that phrase because it is meaningful to me. There is no reason at all for me to be offended by the phrase "Happy Holidays". Maybe the person saying that does not celebrate Christmas! I generally try to be more concerned with my own behavior that that of others.

Pam