Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Iron Nearly Caused a Fire >
  • Iron Nearly Caused a Fire

• Iron Nearly Caused a Fire

Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 AM

This is one thing that I have always done, (that is unplugging the iron) guess I learned this from my mom. Thanks Mom :D

I want to send a Huge Thank You for showing some pictures as to what can happen. My 9 year old is just getting into quilting and will be using an Iron (under my supervision!!). I showed him the pictures and he was like, What Happened!! I explained and he now has learned a very valuable lesson. So, thanks again for the pictures. They speak thousands of words!!
    Old 10-30-2011, 05:26 AM

I have an auto-off iron and the only time I unplug it is when we are going on vacation. Thanks for your tip and pictures, and from now on, my iron will be unplugged when I'm finished with it. Happy to hear that you and everything else is ok.
    Old 10-30-2011, 05:38 AM

Thanks for sharing. I will now unplug my iron after using. Years ago the same thing happened to a friend. The iron was off but not unplugged. Seeing the pictures has changed my mind. Thanks.
    Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 AM

I unplug everything. The iron, the sewing machine. I also don't use coffee pots that stay plugged in - they have their fair share of problems, too.
    Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by TeriD
    Wow, that is really scary. Thanks for the good advice!
    ditto!!!
    dar :thumbup:
    Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
    I have a power strip for all electrical. I turn it off each time'. Glad ur ok!
    In dealing with power strips I also unplug my iron from it's power strip. Those things fail more than not especially if they're old. We replace our power strips we use about every 3 or 4 years.
    Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
    I have an auto-off iron and the only time I unplug it is when we are going on vacation. Thanks for your tip and pictures, and from now on, my iron will be unplugged when I'm finished with it. Happy to hear that you and everything else is ok.
    Me too. I hate to admit, I often forget to turn mine off. I hope this story will help me to remember.
    Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 AM

We had a house fire when I was young. My Dad was working in the garage and left a tool plugged in. He came inside to help Mom finish putting down new linoleum tile in the kitchen. We kept smelling and odor and thought it was the tiles. Daddy opened the door to the garage from the kitchen and saw the flames. He made us all run and he called the fire dept.

We only had a volunteer fire dept. and luckily they were all there that day. Our garage was severely damaged. We lost everything in attic above the garage also. The inside of our home had smoke damage, mostly the living room. We were so blessed that we didn't loose our home.

From that day on, Momma was extremely careful to not leave anything other than the stove and refrigerator plugged up.
    I need to be more diligent in keeping things unplugged. In recent years, I will admit to have gotten lazy about unplugging things. But I am going to start being way more careful again. I never leave the iron plugged up when not it use. That is one thing I don't trust.
    Old 10-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Many years ago my one year old Black and Decker kept flipping the breakers. Got rid of that thing quick after I contacted the company and they put it on report. They had issues with the model before. Wasn't worth me trying to go after getting my money back because I didn't pay much for it. I have not had a problem with electrical in my sewing rooms since, even after replacing the iron with a high wattage Rowenta. But I do make sure the iron is plugged into its own circuit. Just in case.
    Glad you did not have a serious fire. I lived in 3 houses (all rentals) growing up that had fires. One was matches to a garage, another was electrical, another was a rubbish fire close to the house. Scary and not fun.
    Old 10-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Someone else mentioned this the other day and now I turn my power strip off>>>>>
    This is very good information to know....you were very lucky