Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • iron seams open >
  • iron seams open

• iron seams open

Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
    Power Poster

I do both methods depending on the particular block. I can see where there are advantages/disadvantages to both methods....but I haven't started machine quilting them yet...so my vote is still out :roll: :lol:
    Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 PM

I did it on one block, not sure exactly what went wrong, but i think you can distort the bias.
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I have been ironing seams open for a little while now, and I can tell you that doing it that way makes it so easy to stitch in the ditch when it comes to quilting.
    I'm a little confused here. Would you be stitching on the actual seamline, and therefore quilting your thread rather than the fabric? Or do you move over just a bit and stitch the actual fabric? Or would you quilt on either side of the seamline in case your piecing thread gave way?
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kacie
    Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I have been ironing seams open for a little while now, and I can tell you that doing it that way makes it so easy to stitch in the ditch when it comes to quilting.
    I'm a little confused here. Would you be stitching on the actual seamline, and therefore quilting your thread rather than the fabric? Or do you move over just a bit and stitch the actual fabric? Or would you quilt on either side of the seamline in case your piecing thread gave way?
    I suppose if you put it that way, then yes, it would be more on the thread, but I do tend to use a much smaller stitch than most, usually about 1.6 and it's quite tight, when ironed open I still get a nice effect with the quilting. Why not try a small sample and see what you think?
    Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM

I don't think you have to select one method over the other. I think it depends on the block. If you have many layers at an intersection, it may be better to press them open to get it to really lay flat. I generally press to one side, but have read a few different articles/posts that point out good reasons to press open. The link posted above was very interesting. I don't think there's a right or wrong, do whichever you prefer or whatever works for your project! :)
    Old 07-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Boy, do I have mixed feelings on this topic. I normally press to one side, and contrary (as usual) to what I've read, etc, I do not always press to the dark side.. the fabric I'm pressing is the same color as the side I'm pressing to.. so who cares? I have NO problem matching points, etc when I'm piecing (yes, mostly by hand VERY rarely by machine). and I do hand piecing and I'm not in the least afraid of having batting beard through.. I use hand quilting thread for piecing and the finest #12 needles I can find to piece (and quilt) and I think my stitches are every bit as strong as machine stitching with machine stitching thread, and the fact that I usually stitch from 12 stitches per inch or greater. So, I just do whatever the mood dictates..or the pattern...or the sign of the moon.... :twisted: just my 2 cents.
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM

I like pressing to one side for joining blocks. It just seems to lock them in better and match up seams effortlessly. But pressing seams open really reduces bulk for quilting. Perhaps a combination of both techniques would prove best. I'm going to keep my mind open on my next quilt and just try to reduce bulk. You guys have the best ideas!
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM

I have always pressed to the darker fabric side, but I will re consider in my next project. :lol:
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:14 PM

I was taught to press to one side. But after reading this article, I'm going to try pressing seams open and see what happens....sometimes my blocks look "lumpy" where the seams join.
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

You are probably right Tippy, supplies have come a long way and so has the quality, I think in the days of old they used what ever they could get their hands on so a lot of the fabric as also used before being put into a quilt, nothing was wasted.

I have seen your work and it is great.

I don't always press to the dark either, sometimes if I was to then they would be going the same direction as other seams ( I guess an arguement for pressing open) I have not had anything show through, depends onn he quaity of facric that you use as well. I vary it to suit what I am doing. the stack and wack that I am still working on especially the little one I am happy that I pressed open. other things like the black and red that I am working on now, just making sure that they are on opposites.