Iron

Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM

[quote=Shiloh]. I recently bought a cordless iron with a steel soleplate. I like it.

My husband bought me a cordless iron for Christmas a year ago. I absolutely love it. It's a Panasonic with a steel soleplate. It gives great steam, holds the heat for a long time and also has the spray water function. I don't think I could ever go back to an iron with a cord!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 AM

It is the Panasonic that I have and I really like it. I have only had it for a few months and I'm still getting used to placing it back in the stand. If you don't line those channels up you miss the connection. I will continue to check until I get it continuously get it lined up automatically. I'm going to blame that on my age. You can do that after you turn 65, can't you? My last cordless was an Oreck. Terrible. The reviews online echo that. No more Oreck irons for me. Shiloh - Gerry
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraA
So what is a good iron to get? Does anyone else have the problem of overhead lights dimming whenever the iron is one? Lights constantly dimming and brightening then whenever the iron is on....is it the iron? Every house I have ever had does the same thing.
yes, it's the iron, my lights do that too
Old 04-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
I will continue to check until I get it continuously get it lined up automatically. I'm going to blame that on my age. You can do that after you turn 65, can't you? Shiloh - Gerry
Oh no, does that mean I have to wait until I'm 65? I've been blaming getting old for a few years now and I just turned 55! :?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 PM

My lights do that occasionally, too. If you don't mind the cord, I would get a Rowenta, but do check the reviews (I usually go to Amazon for reviews) before you purchase. There a number of styles and prices vary by model. A lot of your choice comes down to preference. Steel soleplate or teflon. I like the steel. Cor or cordless. I like cordless. 1200, 1400, 1500 or as high as 1800 watts. Want one that is hot enough or you won't be happy. Mine is 1500 or 1600 (I think) and sufficiently hot. Steam or dry? I like the steam option and can turn it off for dry. You gotta investigage and make the final decision based on your pocketbook and/or preferences.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Same here, hubby bought me a cordless and I love it. No more aggravating cord messing up my fabric when I'm ironing!

[quote=Quilting Nonnie]
Originally Posted by Shiloh
. I recently bought a cordless iron with a steel soleplate. I like it.

My husband bought me a cordless iron for Christmas a year ago. I absolutely love it. It's a Panasonic with a steel soleplate. It gives great steam, holds the heat for a long time and also has the spray water function. I don't think I could ever go back to an iron with a cord!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Until now, I've never owned an iron that I really liked. Over the past 45+ years, I've owned inexpensive ones and expensive ones ... regardless of price and features, they were all mediocre or worse.

A couple of weeks ago, when the latest mediocre (but expensive) one started leaking huge quantities of water, I went out and bought a Rowenta pressure iron and steamer. It's not the latest model (that costs twice as much and is not worth it to me), but I sure like it. I pressed a huge piece of fabric (6 yards) with it in about 1/10th of the time it would have taken me with a conventional iron and with much better results. I like the fact that the iron itself has no water reservoir. My initial problem was finding a level place to set it at the end of my ironing board. Despite what Rowenta says, the unit does NOT fit on a metal extension on the end of the ironing board. So I found a little stereo cabinet I had stashed away; it is just perfect size and height to keep the iron/reservoir on. The cabinet has wheels on it and the steamer unit's electrical cord is 12 feet long so it's working out well for me.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 AM

I love my T-fal. $40 at Target and I will never own any thing else. As far as the lights browning out, In the winter if I try to iron it blows the circuit but its an old house and for some reason the people before ran the added on room to the same circuit as the living room. And we run space heaters. Its not a problem in the summer. It always reminds me of the old Green Acres episode where her tells her "you can plug in a 1 and a 2 but not a 2 and a 3" or something like that. LOL
As soon as we can we are going to get some additional wiring done.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

having used irons from $2 thrift store finds to fancy $150 irons...for longevity i have found the $10 cheapies from walmart hold up the best....the thrift store (very old) iron lasted me almost 3 years...the $12 basic i bought lasted almost 10 years...the $150 fancy iron...3 months..by then leaked horrribly, did not heat well was heavy and what a waste of money!!!
i like my iron to stay on and stay hot so when i'm ready for it is ready for me, i hate the ones that shut off after a minute and you have to shake it to wake it up again...and i no longer ever put water in my iron...i keep a spray bottle of water on the end of the ironing board
Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 AM

I have had two Rowenta irons that were pricey. They have leaked and gave out very quickly. I now have one by Shark that works well and was not that expensive. I also have a small Rowenta (it is about the size of the palm of a mediums sized hand) that I use without steam and it works well. But the minute I try to use steam it will leak. I do not recommend Rowenta. I also do not like anything from Black and Decker. This is only a suggestion of what not to buy. I really don't know any of the other brands except for the Shark.

Have a great day.