Iron

Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Nancy
I have had two Rowenta irons that were pricey. They have leaked and gave out very quickly. I now have one by Shark that works well and was not that expensive. I also have a small Rowenta (it is about the size of the palm of a mediums sized hand) that I use without steam and it works well. But the minute I try to use steam it will leak. I do not recommend Rowenta. I also do not like anything from Black and Decker. This is only a suggestion of what not to buy. I really don't know any of the other brands except for the Shark.

Have a great day.
Two of my irons that went wonky are Rowenta, so I'm really curious to see how long my new Rowenta keeps working. It has only a 1-year warranty. I have vowed that it will be the last Rowenta that I will ever buy IF it goes wonky within the next few years. I looked on-line at all the pressure iron/steamers available and, while they are common in Europe, they are not in the USA, so my choices were limited. (So far, it hasn't made my lights flicker.)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned

I never use steam and don't like teflon.
I use an iron that belonged to a friend's Mother (I'm soon to be 74) in my sewing room.
The Vermont Country Store has a no steam, no teflon iron for about $35, which I use away from home: workshops, retreats etc and like alot.
I have about 5 other irons that are steam and/or teflon that I no longer use.
http://vermontcountrystore.com
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 AM

A few years back I bought a Rowenta - pricey @ about $80. We now use that one for our clothes ironing - I bought a cheap Kmart iron, which seems to give off more heat & steam and I love it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM

I also like the Rowenta with the steel plate. Although last week at our UFO, I used a Black and Decker owned by the Extension Office and liked it alot. Since they have two extra ones, I will leave my Rowenta at home and lighten my load.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 PM

[quote=Quilting Nonnie]
Originally Posted by Shiloh
. I recently bought a cordless iron with a steel soleplate. I like it.

My husband bought me a cordless iron for Christmas a year ago. I absolutely love it. It's a Panasonic with a steel soleplate. It gives great steam, holds the heat for a long time and also has the spray water function. I don't think I could ever go back to an iron with a cord!
Where do you buy the cordless irons??
Old 04-19-2010, 04:01 PM

I won't buy an expensive iron because it isn't very compatible with the wobbly ironing board! :) I've had 3-4 irons in the last 5 years. Mostly under $25 from Walmart. I wasn't happy with any of them. Last month, I bought a Shark at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $29. So far, I love it! It's a steel soleplate, I usually get teflon. Plus it doesn't seem as top-heavy as the others I had. The cord is 10', which is a priority for me because of where I need to set up.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM

i buy my irons at Wal mart and the plug in i use only has the iron plugged into i dont think your power should dim when your iron is on that doesnt sound good
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned

I have a sumbeam brand iron I have used for years, hubby wants to buy me one that shuts off because I forget everything. But we don't have finances to do that. God bless. Penny
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by penski
i buy my irons at Wal mart and the plug in i use only has the iron plugged into i dont think your power should dim when your iron is on that doesnt sound good
I agree with you about power dimming. I had my iron on the table next to me and noticed the screen kept flickering on my Pfaff 7570. I moved it across the room and apparently it is a different circuit. Scared the bejebbers out of me, thinking I had ruined my computer sewing machine! Yeah, it's a pain in the patootie to get up to go press, but it sure beats killing my sewing machine. :oops:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 AM

Does anyone have Black and Decker Steam Advantage? I bought one at the Salvation Army that looked like it had never been used -- in the box, instruction book etc. It does a great job but turns off in 8 minutes of non-use then forgets to turn itself back on when you pick it up again. It seems it only likes to start working again if you unplug then plug in again. Picking it up, shaking it, or just turning it off, then on does not persuade it to do anything.
I may just have to save it when I need to do a lot of steaming!