Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ironing Binding Strips *** Why Not? >
  • Ironing Binding Strips *** Why Not?

• Ironing Binding Strips *** Why Not?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong
    I read through this thread with great interest. I am ready to attach my binding to my current quilt. I have not pressed (yet).

So - do I just place the edges of my binding together and pin to my quilt same as always? Only difference being not ironing the binding in half (so I don't have that crease)? I might be being slow, but how does not ironing affect how the binding goes on (since I'm thinking I have the edges together - and then I need to pin in place)?

I'm game to try, but wanted to make sure everything else is the same (except not ironing the binding in half - which I hate doing anyway).
    Hi Dawn, my personal answer to this question is yes, do everything the same as usual except for ironing that crease into your binding. For my own quilts, I don't even pin the binding, I just keep the raw edges lined up and sew right along. My extra step is to zigzag the raw edges of the quilt layers together with a long loose stitch. This just makes it easy to keep my binding and quilt sandwich edges lined up. I put my binding into a clean small trash basket that sits on the floor on my right side and it feeds up easily and smoothly as I sew.
    Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
    Hi Dawn, my personal answer to this question is yes, do everything the same as usual except for ironing that crease into your binding. For my own quilts, I don't even pin the binding, I just keep the raw edges lined up and sew right along.
    Okay, I'm sold! I never liked ironing the binding anyway.

Thank you for confirming how to go about it. I've never basted or zig zagged along the edges as I quilt just shy of the quilt edge (meandering stitch). Wondering if that's one of those small things that ends up making a bigger difference than you'd think. At any rate, going to give the no iron method a try.
    Old 11-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong
    Okay, I'm sold! I never liked ironing the binding anyway.

Thank you for confirming how to go about it. I've never basted or zig zagged along the edges as I quilt just shy of the quilt edge (meandering stitch). Wondering if that's one of those small things that ends up making a bigger difference than you'd think. At any rate, going to give the no iron method a try.
    I don't think you would need to stitch the edges if you quilt close to it. My quilting is usually outline next to the seams and very light. I use fleece for my backing and no batting so I can get away with very light quilting, just to hold the layers together. Nothing pretty and I don't FMQ, so I have more need to secure those edges. You should be fine without that step.