Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kits--Sharon Pederson >
  • Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kits--Sharon Pederson

• Island Batik Rose of Sharon Quilt Kits--Sharon Pederson

Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by frannella
    Originally Posted by crochetetc
    I should add I was able to order every fabric listed in the book from the same place mentioned above.
    Hi--thanks so much for all your sharing on this subject. Were the fabrics you ordered from Texas Batiks the very same fabrics as shown in Sharon's demo quilt?
    Yes they labeled each fabric and they match her book perfectly. Here is a link to their online store, I called and talked to them over the phone when ordering and I let them know I was doing the applique version and what I wanted. This was the ONLY place willing to sell me fabric directly without being a part of their BOM, which I am doing at my LQS. My LQS had so much interest there was no extra fabric to sell me.

http://www.batiksgalore.com/scripts/...ofSharonBatiks
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
    Congratulations on your pending retirement! I did that about a year and a half ago. I have bought a few kits, but have not paid that much for any of them. I would take a look at the fabric called for in the pattern and check the price (including postage) of buying what you need yourself against buying it as a kit. If you want it to look just like the featured quilt and you can afford to buy the kit, by all means, buy the kit. You will also have to buy a backing. Are you going to do the quilt-as-you-go method? It is certainly a beautiful quilt! You might want to spend some time "practicing" with your new "used" Bernina before you start on the project LOL! Looking forward to pictures!
    ha, ha--I was thinking of starting with the "bonus table runner" the pattern for which comes with Sharon P's DVD. I am planning to do that with scraps on hand--don't want to waste those gorgeous batiks. Thanks for the good wishes and your advice. Just FYI--the RoS quilt kits say the fabric materials for the backing are included.

Of course, pending retirement or not, I have promised myself I won't even set up my new (used) Bernina until I have cleaned up my attic. My family says that will take me years....by which time the Island Batiks will definitely not be available. Thanks again.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boopers
    I have purchased kits and have been very disappointed in the quality of some of the fabrics. I have also been shorted on some of the cuts.

Good to know. I am hoping that in this case, that won't be an issue because the kits feature a specific brand of high-end fabric--but even within certain high quality lines I can imagine not all cuts of fabric are equally desirable. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
    Most of the kits I have bought have everything I need. A few have been short of fabric (or I made a mistake in cutting!) Overall the kits cost a bit more than just buying the fabric, BUT since it is almost impossible to buy just a 7 inch square of this, or a 5x 10 inch strip of that, it is cheaper to buy a kit if there are small pieces involved.
    Hope that makes sense!
    It makes perfect sense and addresses one of my concerns--what about cutting errors--hence my keen interest in the difference between 'exactly' what is needed and "generous" allowances. Thanks for sharing.