Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It's official......I'm allergic to fabric.............NOOOOOOOOO >
  • It's official......I'm allergic to fabric.............NOOOOOOOOO

• It's official......I'm allergic to fabric.............NOOOOOOOOO

Old 08-01-2010, 04:44 AM

I wash all my fabrics as soon as they come into the house. I would think that if you are allergic to the chemicals that taking the time to get the fabric ready would only make you miserable. I don't really have any problems with the un-prepared fabric except that sometimes some of the warp threads get tangles slightly. I keep a pair of scissors in the laundry room for trimming before putting in dryer.

I use the Color Catchers when washing different colors. I have been burned by bleeding colors too many times, so I wash EVERYTHING. Batiks are known objects of excess dye, so be sure to wash them!. Besides, after they are washed, the hand changes to the most luscious, silky feel!!!

I dry or damp dry, depending on whether or not I have the time to iron right away. If the fabric is bought during the week & I don;t get to the ironong board until Saturday, dry. If I shop on Saturday, damp dry.

An old trick from my childhood - spritz your fabric with plain water, fold and place in plastic bag, When all is sprayed, close up bag and set aside for a while. If you live in a humid area, stick in frig to prevent mold. Iron when you are ready. Really makes ironing easy.
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 AM

Alergy here too but not as bad as yours. I wash all my fab. Sew cut end to cut end. Usually have two to four yard tube that gets tossed into the washer. Toss in drier. Try to catch it before the timer goes off and hang it over the rod in the shower.

I'd buy a box of plastic gloves like the doc uses in the hospital/clinics. You can get them at Wal-mart. Wear them when you sew the strips togeter. Not very expensive and will protect you till the fab is washed.
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:56 AM

so sorry to hear that....
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 AM

if they are larger pieces, I baste the cut ends together and it does help...
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
    I clip the corners of new fabric and wash with a load of laundry.
    wow, great idea, will have to try that one next.
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:07 AM

I also wash my fabrics as I am allergic to formaldyde - it makes my hands break out, fingers split, etc. I will wash a full load andI do use Shout color catcher sheets (sometimes 3 or 4 depending on colors). But I only dry them a couple pieces at a time - usually no more than 5-7 yds at a time - and only for 20 min. They are dry in that amt of time. Take them out of dryer immediately and fold. I press (dampning them if needed) as I use them and have had no trouble with them at all.
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 AM

Wash it and before drying, unwinkle then half way thru drying, unwrinkle and before folding it up just tear off the stringy ends. Gives you a straight of grain and clean edges, also you won't have to handle the edges. Also if you fold it neatly and stack it as tight as mine is it irons it's self!
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 AM

I also agitate by hand and then there aren't hardly any loose threads or tangles and I don't have to spend time sewing the edges prior. Use a large wood spoon or dowl to agitate so the formaldehyde doesn't get on your hands and arms.
    Good Luck!
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 AM

I, too, have formaldehyde allegry. Was given some typed medication to put under my tongue before exposure. I do prewash all fabric and that seems to do the trick. However, when new fabric comes into stores, really gives me a fit. Eyes water, skin itches, sneeze, etc I stopped the meds. Don't think it helped all that much.
    Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 AM

Formaldhyde is in everything in a new house. From carpets,
    kitchen cabinets, new upholstered furnature, vinyl flooring, kitchen counters (not natural stone),
    wood paneling, paints. Curtains and bedspreads that are polyester blend fabrics. New homes are so toxic I have read to never bring home a new born to a new house. Their immune system hasn't developed yet and can become sick from the toxic environment. Doctors are not educated in the field of environmental illnesses and will not realize the babies environment maybe making the baby sick.