Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It's Virtual Quilt Day!!  Today - Sunday, April 21, 2013 >
  • It's Virtual Quilt Day!! Today - Sunday, April 21, 2013

• It's Virtual Quilt Day!! Today - Sunday, April 21, 2013

Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DJ
    Ranchwife ~ I have two UFOs that might lend themselves to QAYG, but I haven’t decided yet whether or not I want to chance it. One of them will be quite large, so it sounds like it would be lots easier.
    This is my first so I'm excited to see how it goes together. Let me tell ya, the quilting was a piece of cake though! Only having to maneuver a 9.5 inch square was a million times easier than it would have been trying to maneuver the queen sized quilt. Ok, chores are finished - I'm off to sew!
    Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Everyone is so productive. I've been quilting an old UFO, by machine, since 6:30 this morning. Must go take shower, must eat something. Every notice how hard it is to pull away when things are going right?
    Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Before going to church I started sewing together 8" blocks for an Arrowhead pattern I am making. Doing it all with scraps found in sewing room. Hope to finish blocks today and start putting together.
    Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
    I hope to finish the quilting on this one that I am making as a donation quilt for the local zoo for their silent auction fundraiser in October. I got an early start on it just to make sure it would be done in time! Besides that, when I saw the animal fabric (the animal this year is the lion) and the other fabrics that coordinated, it just all came together and seemed right! Enjoy you virtual quilting day and keep on sewing!
    That quilt is fantastic. What pattern is it?

I FMQ the first half the quilt this morning, and now that I'm back from church will finish the other. I think I'm going to self-bind this one as it was supposed to be in yesterday's mail -- day late, dollar short -- story of my life.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 04-21-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Worked some this morning on my scrappy string quilt. Have about 100 more to do. Also did some English paper piecing.
    Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM

The pattern is "Walk About Quilt Pattern" by Grizzly Gulch. I found it on the Creative Quilt Kits website. The pattern is really simple - squares out of a focus fabric and half square triangles made from a light and a dark fabric arranged so they create a frame-like appearance for the main part of the quilt. Then I deviated from the pattern using the narrow inner border to build it out so that a checkerboard outer border could be added with all of the squares being the same size. Then I decided to add cornerstones to the outer border to bring more of the animal fabric into the quilt. This pattern is a great one to show off larger print fabrics. It can easily be re-sized also.
    Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM

I fussy cut out all the squares for a memory quilt for a neighbor girl. Then I cut out about half of the sashing and got it sewn in on one side and got all 12 strips made (of 8 squares in each strip) . In the morning I hope to finish cutting out the main sashing and decide on corner squares and cut them out.

So, I didn't get much sewing done...mostly cutting. But it was a huge task as fussy cutting takes quite a while.
    Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
    Power Poster

@ Sideways: You rock!
    peace
    Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Almost finished with a doll quilt, just need to handstitch the backside of the binding. Then I can work on some string blocks.
    Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM

I have 3 quilts basted so far (2 baby & 1 large lap), with at least 2 more to go (1 lap & 1 twin, possibly followed by a small wall hanging or two). I hope I can get them all done this afternoon! My dining room floor is clean for once and I know it will need to be cleaned again in a day or two. That's how life goes with 3 kids. It's the only place I have to baste my quilts!