Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It's A Wonderful Thing! >
  • It's A Wonderful Thing!

• It's A Wonderful Thing!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:15 PM
    Power Poster

NO, I don't. I don't work on any large quilt tops anymore so normally a bobbin or two is all I need.
    Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 AM

I have several bobbin boxes which fit 25 bobbins each. I fill one box with bobbin thread and an other with a neutral Gutermann 100% cotton which I use for most of my piecing. If I need black or grey I'll wind a couple of bobbins. I like to be able to change the bobbin as soon as the one I'm using runs out, especially when doing embroidery. I usually wind another box full when I get down to the last couple.
    When I only did sewing (clothes & household) I use to get fed up with stopping to wind bobbins. As I now have 5 Janome machines (2 are sewing/embroidery) I own over 100 bobbins. I can always find one for any purpose now.
    I do like to use my 6600 to wind my bobbins. It seems to fill them faster than any of the others.

Last edited by katesnanna; 05-12-2014 at 04:02 AM.
    Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 AM

I pre-wind bobbins in just about all colors. I piece in white or neutrals. But colors for quilting I will use one spool to wind bobbins and the other for my top thread. There isn't anything that makes me madder then a wet cat then having to stop in the middle of a project to wind bobbins
    Old 05-12-2014, 04:20 AM
    Power Poster

After seeing hundreds of old sewing machines with full bobbins and lots of rust on the bobbins, I would only pre-wind plastic bobbins. I try to wind just enough to get the current job done. No layers of threads on the bobbins either. There is no access to the first color anyway.
    Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 AM

I have just started winding extra bobbins. I try to make it the last thing I do after a day of sewing. I already noticea difference in the time I am spending, actually sewing. Believe it or not, I only heard about 'bobbin thread' a month or so ago. I bought my first spool and am going to try it.
    Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 AM

I am a self-confessed bobbin-a-holic. There are 5 widely assorted sewing machines up in my sewing room, all with different bobbins.

My husband is an enabler. He makes me bobbin boards that hang on the wall. Odd pieces of board with no-rust nails driven in at angles. Several single color bobbins per nail. The hanging part is Command hooks at the top of the board and UHU-type museum putty on the bottom.

The nifty way it works is that I can write on the board, dividing it into: sewing machine name and colors and thread type. Right now there are 2 longish boards on the walls behind my machines. There is a rumor that another one will be in the works as soon as things calm down around our house. THAT is another story altogether.

My sewing room is not pretty but, oh mercy, does it function.

;-) P
    Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 AM

For those of you who use bobbin thread, which brand do you use and recommend? I've been using top and bottom matching. But would like to try the bobbin thread.
    Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 AM

Love the prefilled fil-tec bobbins... I order them from Shoppers Rule. I use cream, beige and grey. After I got my first order and used them for piecing I would never go back to winding bobbins for piecing. I use aurifil for top thread and they go together very well... They are both thin threads so they make great 1/4inch seams... The bobbins are very full so last a long time... I don't think buying prefilled is any more expensive than winding your own. The only bobbins I wind are if I need a specific color for top stitching...

Last edited by luvrazz; 05-12-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Old 05-12-2014, 07:06 AM

I have the home-made cone thread holder so I asked my DH to add a bobbin holder. All he had to do was drill a little hole the size of a bamboo skewer, cut the skewer to length and glue it into the hole. Bam! instant bobbin tower.
    I do fill 5 or 6 bobbins at a time with neutral colors for piecing. As others, I use neutrals or something that blends with my fabrics.
    Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 AM
    Power Poster

85% of my quilting is with white, so I do wind a whole bunch of white bobbins at once. I have one of those rubber rings to hold my bobbins, and I fill it up with bobbins ready to go. For colors, I fill as needed before I start the project. It's such a pain to stop and fill bobbins....