Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I've Joined the club for injuries with a rotary cutter >
  • I've Joined the club for injuries with a rotary cutter

• I've Joined the club for injuries with a rotary cutter

Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 PM

So sorry, glad you didn't need stitches!
    Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 PM

I wish everyone had a Klutz glove and would use it! I have one and never cut without it.
    Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM
    Power Poster

There are great cut resistant gloves on Amazon that fit much better then the Klutz glove, more flexible, and cost less. These gloves are used by butchers and food processing plant employees and much better quality then the one made for quilters.
    Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 PM

I just joined the club about 2 months ago after years of nothing going wrong, like you I bled like crazy and boy did it smart. It took quite some time to stop bleeding probably because I take aspirin but I did wrap it after using neosporin ointment on it healed very quickly after that. Bad thing was I had just changed the blade or maybe it was a good thing?
    Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Ouch! Heal fast! Now you know it isn't a matter of if but when a rotary accident will happen. Please use a safety device when cutting. I won't cut without the Slidelock rulers or at least a cut resistant glove. No way I want the trauma of a bad cut.
    Wrong. There is no inevitability of an accident. Just like driving a car. Two ways to drive... focused, or not so focussed. Same with using a rotary. I use wide rulers and have never come close to slicing my finger in 9 years of cutting. Don't plan on starting now. When I cut, I cut. Don't think about the kids, work, my next hot date, nothing but what I am doing. I am glad you use the proper safety equipment, just don't let that give you that sense of security. It won't help. tim ten fingers in san jose
    Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 AM

Make sure your Tetanus shot is up-to-date!!! When I had my "little" incident - the $680.00 bill in the emergency room and all I could think about was how much fabric I could have bought instead. And the tetanus shot was needed because it had been more than 10 years since my last one. Just a thought. Yes, get a Klutz glove, use mine all the time since the "incident."

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 02-19-2015 at 03:51 AM.
    Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 AM

Super glue helps.
    Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Wrong. There is no inevitability of an accident. Just like driving a car. Two ways to drive... focused, or not so focussed. Same with using a rotary. I use wide rulers and have never come close to slicing my finger in 9 years of cutting. Don't plan on starting now. When I cut, I cut. Don't think about the kids, work, my next hot date, nothing but what I am doing. I am glad you use the proper safety equipment, just don't let that give you that sense of security. It won't help. tim ten fingers in san jose
    For cutting fabric the safety tools will keep me safe. I have had too many near misses that would have resulted in cuts to my finger if I hadn't had the safety tools. As for being focused that is a given but won't prevent a rotary cutter user from being in ER with a bad cut.
    Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM

Ouch I feel your pain! Get well soon and be CAREFUL! Thanks for posting - it's a good reminder!
    Old 02-19-2015, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

I cut my thumb years ago and the nerves bothered me more than the cut. four hours bleeding but no stitches. i later had to get a metal slip on guard so i could type at work and not go Ouch all the time. I just found that same guard and am using it on my broken little toe now.
    bad thing is the thumb needn't be cut- i was using my long ruler with a plastic guard on one edge but had turned and used the side without the guard. my fault entirely.