Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome 6600 Straight Stitch Plate - Opinions, Please >
  • Janome 6600 Straight Stitch Plate - Opinions, Please

• Janome 6600 Straight Stitch Plate - Opinions, Please

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Personally I don't think it makes any difference plus you'd have to always remember
    to change stitch plate every time you move the needle. That's why I seldom use mine.
    If you starch your fabric well and use leaders it won't eat your fabric. Sewing triangles
    can be a little more tricky. You have to feed your pieces very close to the leader or
    other piece. Hope this helps.
    Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks, ladies for your input. I think I will eventually purchase one as I do mostly piecing and FMQ. Appreciarte the tips regarding remembering to change the plate!
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

It does help with piecing. My machine no longer eats fabric, lol...DO remember to change them when reverting to decorative stitching, ask me how I know (only once though, haha). My 6600 did not come with it, I had to purchase separate, and glad I did.
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM

I have it and never use it. My reason is that for a measured (after ironing) 1/4" seam I have to move my needle position. Can't do that with the single hole plate.

I don't have a problem with the machine sucking the fabric into the wider slot if I use a starter piece. I also position my fabric right up to the needle (I always start with the needle in the down position), and this seems to help too.

It's possible I might start using it again if I go back to garment sewing though, I can see it coming in handy then.
    Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by threads57
    I have both and yes it is a good investment. It does not come with the 6600 you must buy it. Also the the 3 piece free motion embroidery foot is good to have as well.
    ITA with Threads ... and would save my $ to purchase the 3 piece special FMQ feet combo. Makes FMQing much smoother and nicer than the standard darning foot. I particularly like the plastic one.

I've sewn a lot of miles since getting my 6600 and haven't had problems with it eating my fabric at the start, as some seem to be having. I too, move my needle to get a 1/4" seam, and for other times, so the straight stitch plate wouldn't be feasable.

I have not found the need for leaders/enders. When I was told/shown that in the store, I was totally skeptical. Gradually I "braved" it ... and guess what? They were correct! Oh how much simpler sewing is with the thread cutter, andno leaders/enders!
    Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM

I bought my 6600 new and the straight stitch plate was not part of the "included" items. I bought it after I started having trouble with the machine eating the fabric. Then I realized it was kind of a pain to have to replace the plate everytime I wanted to piece and it worked, but wasn't perfect. I traded in the 6600 within 8 months for the 7700 and don't have that problem with the 7700.

I'd say go for it, can't hurt to give it a shot.
    Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't use it because I move the needle to get the 1/4 inch seam I want. I have never had fabric "eaten" and I don't use leaders.