Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome 7700 Question >
  • Janome 7700 Question

• Janome 7700 Question

Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM

I have a 7700 QCP and I love, love it. It does everything I ask it to do without complaint. I think it may be my last machine. It is my 3d Janome and I love the Janome machines.
    Sue
    Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 PM

I have a much smaller Janome and am very happy with it. I'd love a few more fancy stitches and a larger harp. I'm not interested in machine embroidery. Good luck with your search.
    Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 PM

I've had the Horizon 7700 - red plate, for three years and have had no issues. I've probably just jinxed it! This was my first Janome, I have 2 Berninas. I love them all. I grew up wrestling with my mother's old Brother. I'm just so grateful to have decent machines!
    Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM

As far as I know there are no mechanical differences between the New Home and the Horizon versions of the 7700.

I have one of the first the 7700s, and while I have looked at the newer machines I still like it well enough to keep it. That said, I ditched the needle plate with the thingie that pops out with the "D" stitches. The needle plates of the Elna 740 fit the 7700 (both machines are made by Janome and they are VERY similar) so I bought the single hole and zigzag needle plates and use them instead of the needle plate that came with the 7700. (I ordered the needle plates through the dealer I bought my machine from and he verified with the Janome district folks that the needle palates are the same.) You can't use the "D" stitches with these needle plates, but the 93 stitch is a good straight stitch.

I know that the folks who bought the 7700 either loved them or hated them -- some of the machines were real lemons and others (like mine) have been wonderful. You know the nursery rhyme and when they are good they are very, very good and when they are bad they are horrid. When you go to buy one of the computerized sewing machines it is like buying a computer -- you need to make sure you get all of the features that you will want for quite a while because changing is expensive.

-- I always use a leader and start sewing about 1/2" in from the edge
    -- I clean my machine after every project (more often if I am sewing flannel or fleece) -- and I use tweezers to take out all stray threads (I open the cover on the left of the head and clean all the fuzz in that as well) and I use the brush and a pipe cleaner to get in the other places
    -- I put a drop of oil in the pad under the bobbin after I clean the machine
    -- I use a new needle every project or so (depending on size)
    -- I always cut the thread at the top and pull the thread through the needle when I re-thread the machine (which I do if the thread breaks or I have any other issues)
    -- I never use canned air to blow out the dust

I have had the Janome 6500 (a great machine, but I wanted a free arm), and the Janome 3160 that I take to class. I have had great luck with all of them.
    Old 01-19-2017, 06:44 PM
    Power Poster

Another thing that needs to be remembered with the newer more computerized machines is that many times the problems, turn out to be operator error. As users, often times we jump in and start driving, but we don't learn the "new rules" around the "new technologies". Some people will never learn those new rules, but surprisingly stumble onto it all correctly and never have problems.

No, I am not saying there are not machine problems ...... but that we all need to remember that it is not always the machine's fault!