Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome or Bernina- I need some help!! >
  • Janome or Bernina- I need some help!!

• Janome or Bernina- I need some help!!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM

When I was making my decision to buy a new machine, I was truly stuck between a Bernina 440 QE and a Janome 660. The reality is that the Bernina was twice the price. I loved the BSR and Consumer Reports also rated Berninas highest. Then, the offer of no interest for a year on a closeout price came along and I took it so bought the Bernina 440 QE. They periodically are having specials for no interest over a much longer period, so I'd certainly look at that if you have the time to wait. But, if you can't afford $4,000 plus for a machine, the Janome is a great machine!

BTW, the very first quilt I quilted on it was an oversized Queen and it was SO much nicer to have those extra inches between the needle and the motor housing.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM
    Banned

at the Bernina shop here, she also sells Janome and she said Janome is selling better these days because the Bernina's need to have all the extra stuff bought separately! Also on the BSR she said to try it..it is not for everyone and about 3/4 of her customers end up turning the BSR off and never using it!
    Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 AM

I have a Bernina 430 with a BSR. I used it for several years for both quilting and piecing. I love it. Now I have a longarm too so I don't use the BSR much. Just on small items that I don't want to load onto my longarm. I think the dealer location and helpfulness is soooo important.
    Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM

I just traded my 6 year old Bernina 440QE for a new Janome 6600. Loved the Bernina - can't say enough good about the quality of the machine. I truly wanted more harp space and do not have the finacial resources to purchase another machine. My research led me to the Janome and I do love this machine as well. Amazing how much easier it is to FMQ with a little more breathing room to manuever a large quilt. I also like the dual feed the Janome offers.

As for the BSR, it works well but I have found I can FMQ fairly well now after some years of practice. No mater what choice you make, you'll end up with a great machine!