Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome or Bernina >
  • Janome or Bernina

• Janome or Bernina

Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM

I have the 430 and absolutely love it! It can do so much, lets me sew through many, many layers, puts up with many hours on it happily, and is pretty quiet. I also love how easy it is to change the feet (they pop off) rather than the ones requiring a screw, like my old Hsqvarna (which I can't spell)
    Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    I have the Bernina 440 QE as well. . . . One thing I learned though is it need oiled & cleaned often...every 8 to 10 hours.
    The needle plate is easy to remove, so I take it off and use a cuetip swab to clean out the lint every other bobbin change. And the machine will beep to tell you when you need to oil the bobbin hook area.
    Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    I have the Bernina 440, and I love it. I bought it after sewing for 30+ years on my 1971 Singer. I told my husband that I definitely got my money's worth out of the Singer, so could afford to buy the Bernina. Going from a machine that only had straight and zig-zag stitching to one with the bells & whistles of the Bernina, there were many features that I didn't even know existed, like needle up/needle down, the knee lift, and being able to move the needle from side to side. And since I also make clothing, the buttonholer and button foot are nice, too.

I don't know what the accu-feed is. Sounds like a built in walking foot. Since I only use the walking foot when I quilt and bind, I don't see the advantage of having one built in, but different strokes for different folks.

I like the Bernina knee lift. Once you get used to it, it's a great time saver, especially if you are doing something where you need to keep pivoting the fabric (like machine appliqueing around curves and points. With the knee lift, you don't have to move your hands off the fabric, which saves time.

Whichever machine you choose, have a great time with it.
    The accu-feed is the feed dog system. It assists in accurate piecing. Walking foot is a separate thing.
    Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 AM

JANOME! I have janome 1600 P-QC and Janome 9500 and just traded off Janome 8077 for the 9500. LOVE them all!!!

My friend has the Janome 6600, it is awesome. has the knee lift, accu feed and TONS of stitches.
    Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 AM

I have two Bernina and would almost cut off my arm rather than give either of them up. My friend has a Janome, forget the number but the top of the line when she bought it a couple of years ago and I have used it at her home. IMO the Bernina is far superior-- the Janome has plastic bobbins and the presser feet are not nearly as well made as the Bernina. When comparing the stitches side by side the Bernina looked more balanced and perfect while the Janome not so much! The bobbin being a drop in is a nuisance when sewing on the Janome and then I compared buttonholes and again the Bernina was superior. Now don't take my word for it, go to a dealer and compare side by side the quality of parts and pieces, the stitches made and then make your own educated decision.
    Sue
    Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1230 and love the ways it purrs when I sew. Other machines sound clunky to me in comparison.
    Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM

I have a Bernina 630 and just love the machine!!!
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:15 AM

Thanks for all the great comments on the machines. Still looking no hurry for me. I appreciate everyone's help in trying to decide. I will take some quilt squares and appliqued stuff with me to test drive and see which one drives the best.

Nettie
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 AM

Hi I just bought a Janome 7700 it has a 11 x 4.7 space for our quilts. It also has a built in walking foot. It also has a 7 pc feed system, and an extra high presser foot lifter , auto thread cutter and auto threader and a knee lifter. Go to Janome .comThis macine cost 2,999 but they take trade ins I won't need another machine after this, it has it all! Roz
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 AM

[quote=The accu-feed is the feed dog system. It assists in accurate piecing. Walking foot is a separate thing.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.