Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome FMQ tension >
  • Janome FMQ tension

• Janome FMQ tension

Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM

My Janome 11000, 1600P and 3160 QDC all freemotion well for me, with and without the blue bobbin case. I don't go really fast with my machines when I FMQ. I noted when I tried to really speed, especially with my 11000, I had issues with bobbin tension.
    I really like my Janome machines. I also have good luck FMQ with my vintage Singer 301's, Featherweights and even the treadles.
    I hope those experiencing problems get them sorted out. It's so frustrating dealing with tension issues.

And in case you're wondering why I have ALL these Janome machines, the 11000 is my "go to " machine, the 1600 is on my Grace Pinnacle Frame usually, with the feed dogs removed for now, and the 3160 travels with me back and forth to the trailer. It's overkill I know......:)
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 AM

There may be several variables to look at when you are doing FMQ. Thread, Needle (14 at leat or a 16). Use a single hole needle plate and have the feed dogs down. Don't mess with the tension on the bobbin case. That is why you bought it and it just takes a VERY small adjustment to ruin it. Practice on a test piece the same as wht you are going to quilt. Start with the auto or 4 tension. Be sure the presser foot is up when you thread it and you get the thread in the take-up lever. Be sure the thread is in the tension in the bobbin case also. Our customers love that combination and are have great success with their Janome machines for FMQ. Hopefully you have been oiling the bobbin case race and had you dealer clean it for you. Hope this helps as I love all my Janome machines and like it when others do too.
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:30 AM

I bought a Janome 3160 (Quilter's machine) in July 2010. After the 5th repair, because of bobbin issues, the machine was replaced by dealer. I've had it for about 2 weeks but haven't used it much since I purchased a Brother machine while waiting for the new Janome. I did that because the Janome dealer claimed that even tho the machine is meant for quilters - it isn't powerful enough to actually quilt a quilt. Huh!!!! The Brother is far superior and Brother customer service is also far superior. One week with the Brother and there was a tension problem. The dealer fixed it but reported it to Brother. Brother INSISTED I take a new machine even tho the problem had been solved.
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 AM

I have a Janome 3000 and when I free motion I put feed dogs down and set my TOP tension at 2 or 3. I never mess with the bobbin and as for stitches showing through the tp I also learned that if you keep a nice steady speed this will not happen. I am still learning so I am not sure I have the right advice.
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM

I too, am a very happy Janome owner. I have two 6600's that I free motion on with the blue dot and never a problem. I also have a 4900,9000,3160 (for class) and a 350E. Never had a problem with any of them. The 6600 is a workhorse. LOVE this machine as you can tell...have two of them. Keep one at the cabin and one at home...too heavy to lug around. I would not trade the 6600, not even for the new 7700.
    D in TX
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
    Interesting thread. I recently straight stitch quilted a baby quilt using my walking foot on the 4900QC but noticed many of the stitches were very uneven going from normal size to tiny. I thought maybe it was because I used a cotton flannel backing although the walking foot is supposed to eliminate this problem. There were no puckers on the back which I had hand basted,. I was considering whether to purchase the blue bobbin for FMQ, but I don't think I will bother. I also think Janome Customer Service in UK is very unhelpful. I love my machine for general sewing and piecing, but as a quilting machine it does not seem to live up to its name.
    I'm sorry you are having such problems. All I can say is that I have found Janome Customer Service UK very helpful. I have the blue bobbin case which works perfectly. I also use a quilting machine needle which seems to make a big difference. I've read that either this or a top stitch needle are the best to use but not a universal needle.
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
    Originally Posted by nantucketsue
    Interesting thread. I recently straight stitch quilted a baby quilt using my walking foot on the 4900QC but noticed many of the stitches were very uneven going from normal size to tiny. I thought maybe it was because I used a cotton flannel backing although the walking foot is supposed to eliminate this problem. There were no puckers on the back which I had hand basted,. I was considering whether to purchase the blue bobbin for FMQ, but I don't think I will bother. I also think Janome Customer Service in UK is very unhelpful. I love my machine for general sewing and piecing, but as a quilting machine it does not seem to live up to its name.
    I'm sorry you are having such problems. All I can say is that I have found Janome Customer Service UK very helpful. I have the blue bobbin case which works perfectly. I also use a quilting machine needle which seems to make a big difference. I've read that either this or a top stitch needle are the best to use but not a universal needle.
    I forgot to say that I use a Janome Horizon machine - magical harp space of 11"!
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 AM

i haven't read on to all the posts... but there is a janome "forum", that is fantastic.... also an "ask Jan" there... it's at the janome site... she answers questions and they have categories that may just have the info you need... check it out... good luck
    Originally Posted by annesthreads
    OK, so I bought the blue dot bobbin case for my Janome 4800 because when doing FMQ, there were always loops on the back, except possibly if the tension was set on no.9. Now there are loops on the front except possibly if the tension is set on no.1.... :( Do Janome not know the concept of the happy medium..! I may have to take a screwdriver to the bobbin case tension, but before I do that, I'd be grateful for any comments or advice that anyone can offer. I should add that I really don't think these problems are my incompetence - or not just that, anyway - as I've produced perfectly adequate FMQ on other machines.
    I was using a top stitch needle and Janome embroidery thread top and bottom.
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM

I can't say enough about my3 janomes... i quilt (on a grace frame with the 1600, not the top of the line... and when using the right thread and right tention... it's the best.... i have 3 other janomes and bought my daughter one... so perhaps your dealer is not being straight forward with you... there are "lemons" in all brands... if he can't fix your problem,,, then he should be honest about it... trade in for one that you can see work... also go to "janome forums" at there main site... lots of help there....good luck

bottom line is.. DON"T BUY any machine without a supportive dealer, that you get good vibes from and has a good reputation...i can't imagine buying anything over he internet, or by mail.... my heart goes out to people living so far away from any dealers..
    Originally Posted by k3n
    I deleted my earlier post but I just have to say that while I'm sorry some of you have issues, I have a 6600 on which I FMQ both with the supplied red dot case and hopping FMQ foot and the blue dot case and adjustable foot with NEVER a problem!!! I use my machine up to 8 hours a day and it has never let me down. So I am guessing that you few are unfortunate enough to have been supplied with faulty machines OR it is operator error or you are using sub standard supplies. I am a bit fed up with reading that this is an inherent Janome fault, I and many others use their machines with no problems at all.
    :cry:
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 AM
    Power Poster

I have a MC 4800 Janome and don't change anything at all when doing FMQ.