Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome sewing machines >
  • Janome sewing machines

• Janome sewing machines

Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Janome sewing machines

I was wondering if you wonderful folks could give me some input on Janome sewing machines. I have a friend that has a limited income.... and her sewing machine recently went belly up so, she is using a yard sale fine that hops off the table when she sews, so I thought maybe Santa could find something that is reasonable in price that he could drop off at her house this Christmas. She wants to replace her broken machine with a Janome but it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles but she would like to have some fancy stitches, so since I'm going to help Santa I thought perhaps you folks/elves could give me some input on what you think is a good machine and still reasonable. Thanks to all of you and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!
    Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

I have two Janome Jems and they have never given me one minute of trouble. They are portable and priced very reasonable for the quality.
    Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 AM

The Janome 3160 is a nice little machine, don't know the current price for one tho.
    Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM

I have a Janome Memory Craft 3000 and have sewn on it for almost 20 yrs not. The only thing that has ever been done to it is normal service. I love it
    Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM
    Power Poster

I have heard lots of good things about Janome. Personally I don't have a Janome sewing machine, but I do have Janome serger and it has been very dependable and easy to maintain.
    Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM

I don't know your price range, but I think one of the Magnolias is under $300 and they are so pretty.
    Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM

I bought the Janome Harmony for my DGD...$89.00...and I keep it set up at my house. I run to it when I need a quick fix on someting or to do straight stitching! LOVE it!
    Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM

This is probably not what you're looking for...but I got a Janome "Sew-Mini" in June. It's 5 pounds, very small, noisy, no light, and has only one foot. But it is a great sewing machine to cart to guild meetings and when traveling. I love it for what it is...a good little lightweight 'traveling' machine.

I had a Brother sewing machine that lasted me 6 years. Probably would have lasted longer, but either was dropped or something fell on it during it's summer journey to see grands. I replaced it with a higher end Brother, and am pleased with that so far.

I also have a Goodwill machine - a Janome New Home that is probably 30 - 40+ years old. All I've done to get it to work was clean and oil it. It's a tough, old mechanized machine and I truly enjoy sewing on it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Janome, but Brother is a good machine, too.
    Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM

I bought a Janome machine for my daughter a couple of years ago http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Janome...VVviewprod.htm

and fell in love with it! I recently bought my own Janome http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...uilting/DC5100 and fell in love all over again!

Hope that helps a bit and if her machine she has now is jumping on the table she is using she is going to have to get a sturdier table because every machine will jump. I had mine on a foldable table and had to move it to a more substantial table ( took my mother's vanity, removed the mirror and it worked out perfectly!)
    Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM

I had a New Home (now Janome) for 40 years and loved it. I gave it to a friend and purchased a HT2008, which is a low level machine but works very well. The current version is DC2012. A friend has the Magnolia and really likes it. I really don't think you can go wrong with even a cheaper Janome. As someone else said, Brothers are also good. Just stay away from cheap Singers.