Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JC Penney sold fabric? >
  • JC Penney sold fabric?

• JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Is it home dec. fabric for curtains or bed spreads?
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Wow! All the memories here are fantastic! I remember getting fabric at Penney's. It was so fun to be allowed to go with Mom - we walked downtown because we had no car and the town was small enough we had no public transportation. Fabric was 36" wide at first, and patterns were sized differently. I remember the change in pattern sizing, and the huge deal it was to get 45" fabric. I thought the meter to measure fabric was fun - maybe that's why, when I worked for a fabric store later, I was thrilled to get to use one! (Small pleasures!) So many things have changed. What I wouldn't give to have my mom with me to do some sewing/quilting now!
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Oh yes they did, and lots of it! So did Montgomery Ward & Sears; so did Beall's. They all discontinued their fabric departments in the late 60s-early 70s.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
    Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
    Oh, yes! I remember the measuring device!! I'm 58.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 AM

I lived in northwest Indiana back in the 70's and Penneys had fabric until the mid-70's.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 AM

This is bringing back memories. All the big stores had fabric and I think it was the late 70,s searly 80's that they stopped and if I am not mistaken that is about the time the independent fabric shops started to show up here and there and craft stores selling fabric. I remember those days that you could get fabric just about anywhere you went.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 AM

This is the first time I have ever posted here. Lets see how I do. :D
    Now I am likely going to give away my age, LOL but I remember when PC Penny sold fabric. They sold all kinds and certainly didn't have the selections we have today for fabric, and yes lots less $'s. But also the cottons and calios were very hard to iron flat and without wrinkles. I loved to sew when I was in junior high and high school and use to take baby sitting money there and buy fabrics for dressed and skits and jackets.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Yes I do remember that was the way JC Penny measured their fabric and sometimes I will tear to see how straight things are then cut off the torn edge about a inch to get rid of the "bad section" And you almost have to rib the wide backing becase their are put on the bolt so poorly.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 AM

The only store that wasn't mentioned here was Winns. When my kids were small, in the early 70's, I bought fabric from Winns in El Paso, Texas, to make their clothes. We also had a TG&Y with fabric, and of course KMart. I don't know if Sears was still selling fabric then, because it was near downtown and I had no need to go that far any more.
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 AM

Yes! I remember it well. Many of the large department stores had a fabric section including the high end store, Marshall Fields in Chicago, which is now owned by Daytons. It was great.

When large discount stores began to open, i.e, K-Mart, Venture etc. and women could get clothes at reasonable prices for their children, the art of sewing waned and the larger stores stopped selling fabric. I believe that it was also about that time that department stores changed the way their stores were set up. They eliminated counters and began to put in "cashier stations".