Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jelly Roll question >
  • Jelly Roll question

• Jelly Roll question

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 AM
    Banned

you don't say what pattern you are making. However, let us assume you are sewing the three strips and then sub cut into squares.
    If this is the case, then: Stack the jelly roll up and cut in half.
    Take the top of the right stack and put it on the bottom then select from the two stacks three strips and sew. Set aside. Take two from left side and put on bottom and select three 1/2 strips and sew and set aside.....continue this pattern which will mix up the strips. Then you have scrappy.
    Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone! The quilt was a freebie, and it was just called Jelly Roll Quilt. It was created by Sally Ablet, who designs for Fabric Freedom in the U.K. I love the colors she used. She used a "Noodles" roll, which looks like it is equivalent to our jelly rolls. Here's the pattern - http://www.craft-fabrics.com/fabric-...rn-p-2418.html

Incidentally, I cut the strips into 22" pieces, then randomly selected the fabrics. I love the blocks. My sister, who lives in a different state, has the same jelly roll I used (Tide Pools by Moda). It was her idea to do the same quilt using the same fabrics, to see how differently they turn out. She liked the pattern I selected, so it was decided. I spent the weekend sewing, and love what I see! Tomorrow I am going to buy the fabric for the half-squre triangles, but I wanted the blocks for color matching. I sewed what was left after I cut out the 3-6 1/2" blocks together, and now I have a strip to take to the fabric store that shows all of the colors I used to make the quilt top.

Anyhow, that's my update!