Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jelly roll washing question >
  • Jelly roll washing question

• Jelly roll washing question

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM
    Power Poster

Missi what was the brand name of your jelly roll fabric that bled?
    Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM

The OTHER side to pre washing (besides shrinking and bleeding) is that your batting also has a percentage of shrinkage. The package tells you what it is. If the fabric shrinks a little and the batting shrinks a little and the backing does roughly the same, well you (I) won't have too much of a problem making the item flatten out, right?

Right now I'm making baby things and backing them with pink, blue or green flannel. I even dry the flannel in the dryer - something I don't do with other fabrics. Right or wrong (correct me if you know) the flannel will be the worst shrinker of all my quilting fabrics.
    Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks again for all your input!

BellaBoo, the fabric I had that bled on my project was bought 8 or 9 years ago in Canada, and I didn't finish the quilt until last December, and now live in the UK. The other jelly roll was bought from an online quilt shop that also sold me a bunch of other fabrics of very high quality, and none of them bled. The bleeding fabric was batiks though, and only the darker ones bled a lot.

Watterstide, that is so very kind of you. :D I will look for the Vanish or other brands that others suggested and let you know if I find it, but thanks again for your offer!

Quilter7x thank you for that link! I did see it nad will be looking out for Shout.

Also thanks for the info on vinegar and dyes, I had a feeling the vinegar wasn't helping too much, but now I know why.

I guess I'll stick to Moda jelly rolls from now on. Anyone know about Kaffe Fassett fabrics?
    Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Check this post. She had an entry about just this topic.
    http://thequiltingdiaries.blogspot.com/
    Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM

I'd rather make my own charms and jelly rolls, bc I am a prewasher in the washing machine.
    Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

The only fabrics i prewash..are dark solids..and flannel if i am mixing it up with cotton in a baby quilt, and Batiks.

i have never prewashed batting, and have never had a problem with it either..i use W&N about 90% of the time.

I always use a color catcher,if i am uneasy about the quilt colors bleeding.better safe than sorry.

I have used loads of charms and maybe a half dozen or less jelly rolls, and have never had a problem with them bleeding. Never. all were Moda,i believe.

when i learned to quilt, i was taught to pre-wash, and did it religiously..but i found that anything that had some sort of stripe,wether it be flowers in a row, or regular stripes..it all went wonky after it was washed, even when i started hanging it up to dry. they still went off course..so i quit washing fabric..

I love the way the quilts looks when it comes out of the dryer..for me it is the exciting part of the process..making it though the washer and dryer, with no seams that came apart, and looking all warm and cushy..and almost "old" looking.
    to each his own..i just don't. i don't have that many good days in my life to spend in washing my quilting fabrics! lol!
    besides, i can't get up and down my stairs like i used to,and to begin with, and my husband does all our laundry..Bless his heart..he has for years..i would feel bad if i added quilting fabrics to his laundry list! 8-)

This is all IMHO only...of course!
    Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Watterstide: "i have never prewashed batting, and have never had a problem with it either..i use W&N about 90% of the time.

I always use a color catcher,if i am uneasy about the quilt colors bleeding.better safe than sorry.

I have used loads of charms and maybe a half dozen or less jelly rolls, and have never had a problem with them bleeding. Never. all were Moda,i believe."

Maybe I need to go W&N, too. Nice batting I've used it a few times but if it behaves without pre washing - that's for me.

Thanks!
    Jois
    Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Hi stummel - the advert for Colour Catchers was on TV last night! (we have English telly). It's made by Dylon in the UK and you should be able to get it in Tesco, Sainsburys etc. The website is http://www.colourcatcher.co.uk/
    Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Hi stummel - the advert for Colour Catchers was on TV last night! (we have English telly). It's made by Dylon in the UK and you should be able to get it in Tesco, Sainsburys etc. The website is http://www.colourcatcher.co.uk/

Thank you so much! I will go look for it today!
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 AM

I use Retayne. It is not that expensive as you only use a small amount. I put small pieces of fabric in a glass canning jar with hot water and Retayne then let it set for about 30 . I gently shake the jar a little from time to time, then rinse thoroughly. Do not ring out. Roll in a towel if you must then hang to dry. This has worked for me for batiks and other bleeding fabric. I always give my fabric the bleed test with a corner stuck in warm water for a few minutes before I wash things togethter.