Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jelly roll washing question >
  • Jelly roll washing question

• Jelly roll washing question

Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom
    When I did a BOM last year, the kit I got each month was in small pieces and I asked about prewashing and the lady said with todays. Quality fabrics there is not much shrinkage. She also said that she's neveR had a problem. I wonder if it depends on dye lot, brand and the fact that some colors tend to bleed more just because ! I for one am usually to impatient to get started on my quilt to putz around and test every piece of fabric that comes in this house. There's a good chance that this decision could bite my in the butt someday!LOL
    I have a friend that works for a quilt store, she bought me a table runner kit as a gift. Being a firm believer of prewashing, I did the do the prewash. One of the fabrics shrank so bad that I had to replace it with something I already had. Had I not taken the time the table runner would have been ruined. I know alot of stores don't recommend prewashing. I've had to many bad experiences not to take the few minutes it takes to prewash. When I buy fabric it goes straight to my washer. I rarely buy kits for that reason. Just my 2 cents.
    Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Originally Posted by penny doty
    I have looked in four stores for color catchers to see how much they cost, bi-mart,safeway,fred meyer and target. and I cant find them. Penny
    I have purchased them at Target and Walmart both. They are in the area of the laundry detergents. They are sold in smallish boxes (about 3 inches x 6 inches).

Shout is the brand of color catchers I have found. Here is a link to a picture of the box:
    http://www.drugstore.com/qxp73784_33...ash_cloths.htm

Incidentally, they don't trap *all* dye particles if the fabric is bleeding a lot. I have found with black clothing, especially, it isn't enough to just throw one of these in the wash; any whites will still come out dingy from the bleeding black dye. It just "frosts my cookies" (as my dh would say) when my teenage dd buys black pants with white trim; the black always bleeds!

Nothing is completely safe. That's why it's still a good idea to test any suspicious fabrics even if you wash quilts in Synthrapol.
    Thank you, I will have my husband look next time he grocery shops, are the expensive ?
    Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    If you are worried about the fabric bleeding, I would just soak it in the sink for a bit. Then roll it in a towel to get all the water out of it. I wouldn't put it in the dryer, for obvious reasons......
    As I was reading through these, a thought hit me. What is the point of companies selling precut strips that will probably shrink and/or bleed when prewashed. They will no longer be the size they are meant to be. And why would a consumer buy fabric that is impractical to wash prior to using it? I think I'd just as well cut my own.
    Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 AM

Ok, my two stitches....
    I have always washed my fabric...be it a fat quarter or yardage...I always do lights and darks...and the one time I threw them all together...one bled so much it ruined my fancy quilt shop fabric.
    This past weekend I bought a kit from the Stitching post and did not wash it, nor have I washed the 13 fat quarters I bought with Valorie Wells fabric...
    I plan on using a color catcher with this fabric to be on the safe side...if it bleeds...well, you know I will be calling and a bitching!
    I can't see washing a jelly roll, charm pack nor a layer cake. What is the point?
    Kirsten
    Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
    cka

I wish the best of luck! That's a lot of trust in Chemistry.
    Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Missi what was the brand name of your jelly roll fabric that bled?
    I wanna say it was Moda - they even came in a cute little tin with a pattern.
    Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM

there is also a product called synphal - from a dye company which when you wash your quilt if some colors run they do not attached to the fabric used in your quilt ---I use this because I never wash any fabric before I make my quilt and this seems to work all the time. Even the fabric I have dyed myself. I thin synphal is spelled wrong - you can get the description on this product at darma.com I think
    Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM

cant you put them in the bag you use for panthose. That way there washed together. You could seperate the dark form white and wash them (2) different times.
    Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
    Power Poster

I have never had a problem with my jelly rolls bleeding, but I'm sure it could happen. I would wash them in the sink.