Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >
  • Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

• Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 AM

I have to say I've had good and bad experiences at the cutting table at the 3 JoAnns within 75 miles. I try to go during off hours so I can take the time to watch how things are cut. Many of the cutters are inexperienced, and some truly have no idea how to measure or use scissors so are grateful for the help. Those who know about sewing tend to ask what I'm going to make. On a few occasions I've had them "suggest " I ask for a lesser amount of clearance fabric than planned for a charity quilt just so they can give me the final partial yard of the bolt for 50% off the clearance price- very thoughtful! They've even pulled smaller bolts of the same fabric from the cart behind the cutting counter to do this, which is so much appreciated. On the other hand there have been times when a cutter slashes through the middle of a panel, or insists on cutting a crooked piece and I will quietly refuse it- necessitating a discussion with the manager who is called over. JoAnns has good and bad employees and policies, and there is very little consistency. Their fabric and all seasonal merchandise prices are swinging higher, and I don't shop without a good sale or coupons. Seems like they are chasing away customers who aren't "in the know" about the flyers. I have severe arthritis and do miss the scattered seating benches tremendously, but the managers just blame Corporate.
    Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM
    Power Poster

Haven't there been studies saying that the longer a person is in a store, the more they are apt to buy?

If my feet or back are hurting - I'm out of there - but if I can get a rest break - I mightl continue to look. And possibly spend more.
    Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Oh my goodness, you are in for a treat! Going north on 23, get off on Marion Williamsport going east. Then I think it is the first left (north) on Cascade Drive. You will see the big painted barn quilt on the side of the building. It's in an industrial park type area. Prices have always been very reasonable. They carry tons of reproduction material.

Also, have you been to Serendipity south of Waldo on old Route 23? It's about maybe a mile south of Waldo, if that far. It's a cute little quilt shop also.

I also like the little qult shop on the way to Kenton on Rt 30, I think--whatever that route is that is a direct shot from Marion to Kenton. It's on the north side of the road, closer to Kenton. It's run by a wonderful Mennonite family.

Where are you located? I'm originally from the Waldo-Ashley area, now in Illinois. Relatives all over the place.

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
    Originally Posted by Omaquilts
    Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
    No, I was at a little store in Marion, OH. I love the bigger store in Mansfield but that is about 45 minutes away so I don't make a special trip for that store.
    Sorry, the above post was in reply to QuiltingHaven. I'll try again...Have you been to Good Wives in Marion? I absolutely love that store and the ladies who own it. Wonderful Experience always!
    No, I do not know about that store, what street is it on? Thank you!!!!!
    Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
    Absolutely, I had forgotten about those - but yes, they were great!!

They combined 2 Joann's stores into a large one in town and have a system for waiting on you - "take a number" - while I still think they need another person behind the counter, it was at least fair and you could continue shopping until they called your number over the PA. Another thing they had was a big automatic/electronic measuring and cutting machine for larger cuts of material - she was still learning to use it but it looked pretty neat!!

Marysewfun
    Old 09-25-2011, 03:33 PM

I always watch them when they measure my fabric. However ordering online is a different story. It drives me crazy when I order 3 yards of fabric and they only send me 2. Granted, they only charged me for 2, but I needed 3 for my project. What a pain.
    Old 09-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
    Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
    Absolutely, I had forgotten about those - but yes, they were great!!

They combined 2 Joann's stores into a large one in town and have a system for waiting on you - "take a number" - while I still think they need another person behind the counter, it was at least fair and you could continue shopping until they called your number over the PA. Another thing they had was a big automatic/electronic measuring and cutting machine for larger cuts of material - she was still learning to use it but it looked pretty neat!!

Marysewfun
    My Joann's also has the take a number system - I like it - if I take and number and get distracted and my number is called and I am not ready yet, I simply give my number to someone else or just have what I gathered so far and get it cut. Sometimes I find more after, so I just start over and get two receipts. If I don't want to shop more, I enjoy chatting with others waiting.
    Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 PM

I just back from a trip and had fabric cut in a LQS and wondered around while she cut the fabric. I think I need to measure it. In JoAnn's I always watch because new staff sometimes aren't acurate.
    Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Hi, I'm from Florida and new to the board, but I read it all the time. I just had to put in my 2 cents worth on this subject. At my local Joann store they don't give any extra at all and I watch to make sure they are cutting the fabric straight. Makes me think that when they are cutting fabric they don't really pay attention to what they are doing at all. That sure doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM

Happens to me alot. I was even charged for 2 yards when I only got 1/2 yard.
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM

With all the people in this country unemployed, why can't these stores hire people who want a job and want to keep it? How many college grads are looking for any kind of employment?