Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something? >
  • JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

• JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewin'sam
    You have to really watch Joann;s fabric but when I was in the quilt shop yesterday (I only buy their sale items!) I saw 3 fabrics there for $8+ that I bought at Joann's for $3.99 OR less with coupon?? & that was just on 2 shelves! :(
    It is less at Joann's because the quality of fabric is not as good. Unless your LQS is buying cheap, their fabric should be made from the last run at the manufacturer. When making fabric the company will first do a test run on poor quality fabric to check the dye and the pattern. This fabric get sent to places like WalMart. Then the manufacturer does a second run, using a little better quality fabric. They recheck the colors and patterns and make sure the registration lines all match up. These are the fabrics that get sent to places like Joann's. The final run is done on the best quality of fabric and these are the fabrics that get sent to your LQS. It's also why it can cost so much more. My aunt used to own a quilt store and she explained all this to me, in a horrified voice because she learned I was buying fabric from WalMart. Something I don't do anymore, but I do shop at Joann's because I can rarely afford the fabric from my LQS. It's just something to think about when buying fabric.
    Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 PM

Tiffany, Thanks for the info, I didn't know that? But it still all boils down to what I feel I can afford. If I see something I REALLY like at the LQS, I might buy a small quantity of it but mostly I shop at Joann's & occasionally at WalMart! Got to be careful with our bucks these days! :?
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 AM

I also have the same problem with JoAnn's. I have left the store many times also swearing to never go back, but I still seem to go back. I especially like the one that says all plastic containers are on sale. I go to the register to find out that the plastic container I have in my hand is a specialty thread container and is not on sale. Is it not plastic? Is it not a container?
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 AM

Since I don't usually buy JoAnns fabrics anymore. I use them for notions, needles, rotary cutter blades, books. Things that are almost never on sale and very pricey in your LQS. Once in a while they will have a coupon on everthing, but that is far and in between.
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewin'sam
    To Chris: With the coupons, you have to show the mailing label with your name & address on it to the cashier once in a while or they won't send you any more. That's how they know that you're using the coupons. That's probably why you didn't get any more coupons in the mail?
    That is correct but I was pissed that I had to sign up 10 times before I ever got anything and when you're not working sometimes fabric is a luxury. Okay, don't shoot me for that last statement but mortgage, utilities and food are higher priorities than fabric if you have only one income.
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 PM

sewin'sam wrote:
    To Chris: With the coupons, you have to show the mailing label with your name & address on it to the cashier once in a while or they won't send you any more. That's how they know that you're using the coupons. That's probably why you didn't get any more coupons in the mail?

That is correct but I was pissed that I had to sign up 10 times before I ever got anything and when you're not working sometimes fabric is a luxury. Okay, don't shoot me for that last statement but mortgage, utilities and food are higher priorities than fabric if you have only one income.

Chris

I agree with you Chris-and I have used more than one coupon at a time and no one ever said anything. I did go on the web page and had to sign up again and ask for the email cpns so I don't know if I will actually get any or not. I use to, but then they stopped coming in the inbox, and I never even got any of their emails about sales, etc. I wonder if it is a location thing, you know, sending email coupons to a certain location and not to everyone? I guess I will find out if I never get any more.
    Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 PM

I just read back a few pages that they will let you use your 40% off coupon on an item that is 30 % off, and I have NEVER had anyone tell me that at our Joann{s or any of them, and we have 3. I have ASKED and they say..no, it is already on sale. WOW..they must all be owned by many different people..or corporate does NOT train their people.
    Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Joanns told me that as long as the coupons are not from the same source, example one from the web and one from a mailer you can use both. Also if you get a really nice sales clerk they will ring them up separately. It is not the store,the computer sometimes will not accept two of the same coupons. I had my husband sign up and that way I get extra mailer coupons. They don't verify the name and sometimes he goes with me and we both buy. You have to use the mailers or they take you off the mailing list. If you look at your coupon your name is printed on the coupon. If you haven't used them in a couple of months you have to sign up again. It has happpened to me twice.
    Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM

Okay, I'm going to JoAnn's today because I can't pass up a 50% off coupon. Let's see what I end up with today.

Anybody else going this week?
    Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 AM

I am going this week. I am too late to use the 50% off on rotary cutter and blades. They are running a 40% sale so can't use coupon, but I have a gift card, so still going.