Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something? >
  • JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

• JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 AM

Not to mention have you noticed what Michael's Craft store is doing now? You can't get the 40% off coupon unless you spend a min of $5.00 and fill out the coupon to be on their mailing list. Granted I spend at least that, but I just think this is going a little too far in the restrictions.[/quote]
    Did you know Michaels will not let you use coupons on books now? They started that several months ago. I found out the hard way, but I didn't buy the book either.
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    Not to mention have you noticed what Michael's Craft store is doing now? You can't get the 40% off coupon unless you spend a min of $5.00 and fill out the coupon to be on their mailing list. Granted I spend at least that, but I just think this is going a little too far in the restrictions.
    Did you know Michaels will not let you use coupons on books now? They started that several months ago. I found out the hard way, but I didn't buy the book either.[/quote]

I work at M's. The book thing has been for over a year; they don't make much money on the books even at full price/it is also up to the publisher to put 'rules' on that...
    (one reason I think J has started to almost 'always' have magazines on sale at 10% is to prevent coupon usage without having to spell it out...)

As to the email/coupon...you are NOT required to give it. NOT REQUIRED, do you hear me??? Each cashier is told to ASK, because you DO get more coupons/specials via email. (ie... did you know that yesterday morning all Christmas went to 90% off?? corp can email you this reminder!!!) But you are NOT required. If you must, involve (politely please) a manager...

As to the $5.00 minimum, your coupon must be a TEST MARKET coupon.

Corporate has the ability to design various test programs. Stores in my area were handing out 50% AORPI coupons at the register while mine was still printing 40%....and a customer brought in a coupon from a M in another state that was for 60% AOPRI....

This is, as I stated about 4 pages ago, all about marketing. They (royal they, any and ALL companies do this) test the waters, see what customers will tolerate/accept/ what doesn't work

If you don't believe me, do you think that in general, the price of ice cream hasn't gone up in years? Yes, 3 or 4 years back they ran 3 1/2 gallons for $10.... they may still run the same 3/$10, but have you noticed that the containers went from 1/2 gallon, to 1.75 quarts and are now hovering around 1.5 quarts?

At what point will they have to stop?? pretty soon, since they already sell ice cream in quart containers....
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 AM

I used one on line that said "40% off ONE cut of fabric". they gave me 40% off one yard....took me two weeks of arguing thru email to get them to correct...I WOULD NOT give up...LOL I wasn't going to let them get away with it
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Last night, worked on putting on a new zipper for my DD. Wrong size but let me tell you the price. It was $4.05 for a 30" dual zipper, an industrial strength one. I know when I go get the correct size (smaller) that I'm going to spend at least $12 for a one that won't be a dual zip nor will it be industrial strength. The zipper is probably about 7 yrs old. Point of story, I got a zipper for same DD for a pencil bag about a month ago that was nowhere near as nice as the other one that was $6 at sale price that was only 9" long.
    Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM

I can always find a good use for those coupons. I can always use more batting, a cut of fabric, embroidery thread. I love my Joann's.
    Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Last night, worked on putting on a new zipper for my DD. Wrong size but let me tell you the price. It was $4.05 for a 30" dual zipper, an industrial strength one. I know when I go get the correct size (smaller) that I'm going to spend at least $12 for a one that won't be a dual zip nor will it be industrial strength. The zipper is probably about 7 yrs old. Point of story, I got a zipper for same DD for a pencil bag about a month ago that was nowhere near as nice as the other one that was $6 at sale price that was only 9" long.
    Got the new zipper for about $5. Yeah!! Now to get the darn thing sewed into the jacket. Boo!
    Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
    Not all of the fabrics have been on sale when I go in, or their batting, quilting supplies... I pick and choose what to get on each trip there :wink:
    I know this is true, but how do you find the ones, NOT on sale? It seems there is a sale sign everywhere I look.
    It's like a crapshoot when you get to the cutting table or register to pay. thanks, amma:D
    Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjt_mama
    Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I just heard that if something is on sale, you can still use your 40 or 50% coupon even if the item is on sale. They just give you the 40 or 50% off of the regular price.

Has anyone else heard this?
    Yes, I have done that many times... :)
    so in other words, your just about back to the sale price.
    I would get agitated with them, but it's the closest fabric store. So I suck it up and think about my pretty fabrics.
    When I get a choice, then I might consider not going there.
    Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Originally Posted by cjt_mama
    Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I just heard that if something is on sale, you can still use your 40 or 50% coupon even if the item is on sale. They just give you the 40 or 50% off of the regular price.

Has anyone else heard this?
    Yes, I have done that many times... :)
    so in other words, your just about back to the sale price.
    I would get agitated with them, but it's the closest fabric store. So I suck it up and think about my pretty fabrics.
    When I get a choice, then I might consider not going there.
    Sometimes things are only 25-30% off and I have used a 50% coupon, so a little more savings if it is something I need/want :)
    Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM

I am happy to report that I actually had a POSITIVE experience at JoAnn's today -- the first in years!! My daughter and I ran in there to look for some fabric (which we didn't find by the way) but she saw fabric with which she wants me to make her a purse/cooler. They let her use both my 40% & my 50% off coupons at the register. We didn't have to wait to get our stuff cut. Asked where a product was and was not only given an answer but it was right where she said it would be...WOW! I might even go back after this...