Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something? >
  • JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

• JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Sometimes, when I get to Joann's with a handful of coupons (keep in mind that I hate to shop!), I see everything that I might need on sale and I want to have a HUGE hissy fit. Sometimes, I use the coupons to buy stabilizer by the bolt or batting by the yard. If I try REALLY hard, I can usually find something that I use on a regular basis (rotary blades or sewing machine needles) that's not on sale. It just depends on how much I feel like browsing through the store, but I never go over to the craft or home dec. areas.
    Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 PM
    Power Poster

I don't shop at JoAnns but that would be frustrating.
    Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I have a few JoAnn coupons for 40-50% off any regular price item. Everything in the store is on sale, so what good are these coupons?

Am I missing something? :shock:
    Yeah, and Hancocks's Fabric does the same thing. I bought about 20 yards of drapery fabric, intending to use the coupon, but they said it was already 25% off, so I said I knew that, but I'd take 40% off the original price. Of course, they wouldn't do that. I got the fabric (because my living room design revolved around it!) , but wrote a forceful letter to the company president, and got a refund check for the difference.
    I now use my coupons to stock up on rotary cutter blades, which don't seem to go on sale that often.
    Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM

I need to go to JoAnns -- they have a light I want that is on sale...but I'll think I'll pick a day when I'm already in a bad mood to go as I'm always in a snit when I leave there! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
    Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

I have always wondered the same thing about Joanns. Why waste the time and cost to print & send cupons that are useless. And yes I can always find some little thing to buy that is not on sale but do I really need that item or just buying to buy. Its a sale for them. I feel the cupons are just a way to get traffic in their door.
    Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 AM
    Power Poster

Oh this is funny. I just finished writing above post and my husband comes in house and told me he has to go uptown. He wants to know if I want to go to Joanns. No, I want to go to a quilt shop.
    Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
    I have a suggestion. If you join the ASG(American Sewing Guild), it costs you $40. The benefits are worth 100 X that...BUT in addition, you get a card that gives you 10% off at joann's. It doesnt apply to coupon merchandise, however, it does on sale merchandise. SOOOO if something is on sale for 40% you get an extra 10....if it is on clearance, even better. I find that I like it better if things are on sale, because with the extra 10% off it is better than a coupon. MANY of the quilt shops in the US will give you 10% off when you show your ASG card. ALSO, on the members website, there are always offers of discounts from online or local stores to ASG members when you show your card.

ASG is committed to educating sewers and also does many, many charity projects. You never have to participate in anything you dont want to. They have speakers during the year and it is really educational. Our chapter has a picnic in the summer, Christmas Party, and Spring anniversary party. I love it. THE BEST PART I saved until last, the members are just like the people on this board, willing to help, friendly and good friends.

$40 may seem like a lot...and it is...but I consider it better than any amount of coupons ...you will meet new friends and find it very fullfilling :)

Margie
    I belong to ASG and use my 10% card all the time. You are right the members are just like the ladies and men on this board. I've been a member for over 20 years. Our neighborhood group meets on Wed am.
    Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

I have never heard of ASG before. I do get a 10% off card from my membership with AQS (American Quilter's Society) but it's only a 1-time use.
    Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I need to go to JoAnns -- they have a light I want that is on sale...but I'll think I'll pick a day when I'm already in a bad mood to go as I'm always in a snit when I leave there! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
    Sewjoyce - THIS is really funny! I wish I'd thought of it first. Finally a use for our bad moods other than slamming doors or yelling at DH for something he didn't do.
    Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
    I have never heard of ASG before. I do get a 10% off card from my membership with AQS (American Quilter's Society) but it's only a 1-time use.
    Check American Sewing Guild for a group in your area.