Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JoAnn Fabric fat quarters >
  • JoAnn Fabric fat quarters

• JoAnn Fabric fat quarters

Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 AM

I have also noticed a difference in some of JoAnn's FQ. As for our local WM - yes, there are some nice pieces at a very reasonable prices.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 AM

I have found the single ones are thin, but if you buy the package of them that are 9.99 they are really nice. Don't know why but it seems like it is always that way. I love JoAnn's
    as I have met some of the nicest people who work there and they are experienced quilter and sewers (is that a word???LOL) and they will tell me the truth about the material I am buying. Being new at this I really apprenciate that.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM

I've also had problems with the sizes after before washing and also the wonkiness.
    Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 AM

From my experience, the square folded fat quarters are of varying quality. However, they are the same brand and prints that Walmart sells for $1, where Joann's is $1.99. You just have to be careful when you are selecting them.

The rolled fabric quarters at Joann's tend to be much better quality as do the bundles of fabric quarters.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    has anyone had trouble with fat quarters from Joann's? I recently purchased a few b/c they were the only thing I could find that was what I needed to go with a kids quilt I was making. I prewashed them b/c all the other fabric I had bought for it was prewashed. I ironed with starch, too. The fabric was very very thin and kept stretching out of shape while trying to use it. I began to even wonder if it was 100% cotton. Are their fat quarters not "true quilting fabric" or did I just happen to buy defective quarters. Not sure if I will buy them again. They were not even cut straight and some had wonky salvege edges.
    I haven't bought any recently but I thought they replaced their fat 1/4 supplier LAST year, due to these quality problems ?? Like someone above said, the coord. bundles of 4 or 5 seem to usually be better quality than their singles ....
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

I have foundnice ones and some not so nice, its just hard to tell the way they are wrapped.
    Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM

I used to work there. FQs at Joann's are manufactured, not cut. They use bolt ends and irregulars that can't be sold as yardage. A few have been OK for me but for the most part, they're trash. At least with the rolled ones you can actually feel the fabric before buying it. And I agree that the bundles are better quality (probably a diff. manufacturer)
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I used to work there. FQs at Joann's are manufactured, not cut. They use bolt ends and irregulars that can't be sold as yardage. A few have been OK for me but for the most part, they're trash. At least with the rolled ones you can actually feel the fabric before buying it. And I agree that the bundles are better quality (probably a diff. manufacturer)
    Yes the bundles usually are other manuf. & better quality. I've gotten good ones from Thimbleberries/RJR, Timeless Treasures, Alexander Henry etc
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I buy fabric at JoAnns' also and have found on more than one occasion they don't measure the yard accurately. I have found the yards were short by up to 4 inches. I always order a bit more that the pattern needs to allow for shrinking but c'mon . . . It is a problem when I'm backing a baby quilt and oops, 2 inches short.
    Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM

I find the fat quarters to be dissappointing in fiber quality, as well as poor color setting( fade significantly at first or second wash) . Many are really cut wonky ... not cut on grain lines.
    I have been avoiding them. But there is something about those tidy little fabrics folded so neatly that I have had to learn to resist.