Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Joanns quilters flannel vs. Snuggle flannel >
  • Joanns quilters flannel vs. Snuggle flannel

• Joanns quilters flannel vs. Snuggle flannel

Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Snuggle flannel has a looser weave than the quilter's flannel. As such, it has more shrinkage and will wear out faster. I use it to tie quilts, but I have noticed that over a few washings, most of the colors pill rather badly. Some colors do not which tells me that the different dyes can also affect how well a fabric lasts. I personally would not use it for a quilt that I quilted - it just isn't good enough quality to put that extra effort into.
    Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Looked again and noticed that mine is Joanns "Cozy Flannel Solid". Is this any better than the "Snuggle"? I am just kicking myself -- I bought 8 yards for a queen size backing!!!
    Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by guntherquilter
    I go to the 94 year old ladies quilt store (5 miles away--4000 bolts in a single car garage)and buy the entire bolt of flannel for $30! I pre-wash it, put it back on the bolt and use it inside my wall hangings. Works fantastic. Just enough weight to help the hanging hang perfect! This lady has had this store for over 35 years. She has all the brands as in any other quilt store. Moda, batiks, Civil War prints, etc. The best thing is that the price is $2-$3/yard cheaper!!!!
    OK, the Wisconsin border is only an hour and a half away so I have to know where this is! I would easily buy entire bolts of good flannel for the receiving blankets I like to make new babies. Please let me know the address

Pam
    Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

the heavier flannel is a better quality flannel than what *(they call) quilters flannel- which is thin - single sided- not so great.
    i have used the snuggle flannel a couple times with satisfactory results- i tend to avoid Joanne's fabrics for the most part- once in a while if it is the only place i can find something i need- or i need it right now-and no place else is open i (might) venture into their store--it used to be the store to go to- a few years ago ours closed- built a new big store-and nothing has been the same since...but thats a whole different issue-
    but i think the snuggle flannels are ok flannels to use---much better than what they call (quilting) flannel