Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Juki to-2010q issues >
  • Juki to-2010q issues

• Juki to-2010q issues

Old 04-20-2021, 02:32 PM

Default Juki to-2010q issues

I have had this machine for 6 days, been seeing a few hours every night, oiling and cleaning as recommended. A couple of days ago, my auto thread cutter stopped working on my pedal. Now, I can be sewing along, stop to readjust my hands/fabric, and the cutter will engage by itself. Now it’s getting where it will cut twice every time I try to get started sewing. I am barefooted with only my toe pressing on the top of the pedal so I know it isn’t me accidentally hitting it.
    has anyone else had this problem? Is it the pedal? The whole machine? I’m really getting frustrated. Thanks in advance.
    Old 04-20-2021, 02:38 PM
    Power Poster

There is a Facebook page for this machine if you do Facebook. They offer a lot of help. Seems like a lot of them have foot pedal issues

Last edited by Stitchnripper; 04-20-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    Old 04-20-2021, 02:51 PM

This is a total long shot, but have you considered unplugging everything (including the foot pedal), let it sit for a bit (off), then plugging everything back in?

If the problem still happens, then I would be tempted to sew without the foot pedal to try and get more data. (Is there a way to sew with just a switch or button on the machine?) This could potentially tell you if the machine is the culprit or some bizarre wiring thing with the foot pedal.
    Old 04-20-2021, 02:56 PM

The only “buttons” on it are the up/down button, and the thread cutter. I have unplugged everything and it still does it. I can try to see what holding the up/down button and see if that works... I do have a new machine on the way, but this is puzzling.
    Old 04-20-2021, 03:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by acheela
    The only “buttons” on it are the up/down button, and the thread cutter. I have unplugged everything and it still does it. I can try to see what holding the up/down button and see if that works... I do have a new machine on the way, but this is puzzling.
    From what I read on Facebook there are a lot of issues with the design of the foot pedal plus a lot of them are defective
    Old 04-20-2021, 03:09 PM

I haven’t found my particular issue, but I did play around with what you said. Seems to be doing ok right this second... hope the new one is better. Lol
    Old 04-20-2021, 03:18 PM

I have a similar model (TL220QVP-mini) and I can say that the thread cutter feature in the pedal is very, very sensitive. Many times I've experienced what you're describing - I'm only touching the top of the pedal and releasing it but not actually pressing the back of the pedal and it has cut threads (and twice!) I believe my machine came with a rubber insert that can be placed inside the pedal to disengage the thread cutter feature. I've never used the rubber insert but somehow over time I've learned how to manage the sensitive pedal and rarely have it cut unexpectedly anymore. BTW - it's a feature that I would not want to be without now.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:04 PM

I really love this feature, but the thread cutter will not work when I purposely try to engage it, it was working fine the first few days. There has been a couple times it cut after I took my foot carefully off.
    Old 04-21-2021, 02:55 AM

I did have a learning curve with my foot pedal when I first started sewing with my 2010Q, but it sounds like there's more going on with your foot. Can you take the foot back to the dealer and try it in their shop? It may have a loose wire or something. I love the cutter so I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have it mess up.
    Old 04-21-2021, 03:38 AM

They are sending me a whole new machine, so hopefully it won’t have the same problem.