Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Juki 2010q ? >
  • Juki 2010q ?

• Juki 2010q ?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Juki 2010q ?

For those who have this machine, what foot do you use for piecing to get a scant 1/4" seam? I don't think the feet that come with this machine give a scant 1/4" seam. If not is there one to purchase?
    Thanks
    Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM

I just got this machine recently and there is a "compensating" foot that has a section on the right side that stays put as you feed the fabric through. I don't tihnk I'm explaining it just right but it like a guard, but it's larger and sits lower than a regular guard.

That said, I haven't pieced with it yet (just quilted pieces for fun) but I did finish the SITD for my Moms queen quilt she made and I FMQed the borders. It was sooo much easier to get the quilt through the machine!!

This weekend I'm starting a quilt for my daughter so willl do lots of piecing then. Tonight I'm ironing, hope to start cutting/ sewing Saturday morning...
    Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 AM

PS- I lived in Alaska for 5 years when I was in the Air Force. It's the MOST beautiful place in the world! My children were born there and I was finally able to bring them back to see where they were born this oast summer. Made me miss it that much more and made me want to move back!! Where is AK are you? I was stationed at Elmendorf Air force base in Anchorage.
    Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 AM

Hi Susan,
    The feet that come with the machine don't give a scant 1/4" seam. Scant being the key work. I live in Anchorage and know where Elmendorf AFB is. We have lived here many years.
    Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM
    Power Poster

Apparently there is a piecing foot for the Juki:
    http://faeriesandfibres.blogspot.com...i-tl2010q.html

I would use an adhesive guide in addition to the piecing foot. I can piece a lot faster when I use a double layer of moleskin adhered to the right side of the foot to help me guide the fabric.
    Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM
    Power Poster

Depending on the fabric and thread weight combo used, a quarter inch foot on any machine may or may not give you the target seam. You need to check it using this tutorial.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
    Then adjust either by moving the needle position or as Prism99 suggests, using something on the bed for a seam guide.
    If you change thread weights and/or fabrics for a project, you need to recheck your seam as you may need to change it.
    Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Hi,
    Just to restate I have a Juki 2010Q which is a straight stitch machine and the needle cannot be moved. I am wondering if anyone had found a foot that gives a Scant 1/4" seam. I think some sewing machines made a foot that was a scant 1/4", and I was wondering if someone had found one for the Juki.
    Thanks
    Old 02-19-2015, 01:36 PM
    Power Poster

I never heard of any manufacturer making a scant 1/4" foot. You might just try moving the needle position over to the inside.
    Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 PM

My Pfaff's have feet for scant. You have to move the needle over to get the full 1/4" seam.
    Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM

The standard foot that looks like 2 prongs of a pitchfork. If you sew with your fabric lined up on the right side, you'll get a scant 1/4. The foot with the "lever" on the right side gives a 1/4 inch but it is not scant. It's a wide quarter. But remember thread makes a difference also, I use Sulky. Some of the better threads are thinner and may produce a different result.