Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Juki TL98Q misbehaving..need help >
  • Juki TL98Q misbehaving..need help

• Juki TL98Q misbehaving..need help

Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM

I started quilting a new quilt this morning and it's been going well until we went out to eat. I finished off the line I was working on and turned off the machine. When we came back I turned it back on just like normal and now I'm getting snarls underneath. Nothing changed so I'm not sure what to look for. Anyone have the same model?
    Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Sometimes mine acts up- take out the bobbin and clean it- dust out everything, even oil all the little spots it needs oiling.

I find mine will get tempermental when I get close to the 8 hour mark recommended for oiling.
    Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shibori
    I started quilting a new quilt this morning and it's been going well until we went out to eat. I finished off the line I was working on and turned off the machine. When we came back I turned it back on just like normal and now I'm getting snarls underneath. Nothing changed so I'm not sure what to look for. Anyone have the same model?
    I have the same machine. Suggest you rethread the top thread, and then remove bobbin and do the same. When this happened to me, it was usually the top thread that had come out of its thread path at some point.

Good luck.
    Old 02-20-2010, 06:51 PM

thank you! I decided to work on something else for a while. I will rethread and oil tomorrow and see how it goes:) I haven't had this for very long, what needles should I buy? it's exclusively on the long arm machine.
    Old 02-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shibori
    I haven't had this for very long, what needles should I buy? it's exclusively on the long arm machine.
    I used Organ Needles, primarily size 16, when I used my Juki on my quilting frame. I actually had two Juki 98E's, one that I used to sew with, and the other stayed on the quilting frame. I also added a stitch regulator as well as both front and back handles with controls on both. I sold the machine with the accessories to my friend who sold me her HQ16. I still have my other Juki 98E that I love to use for piecing. It consistently sews an even stitch. However, it does need to be cleaned and oiled regularly because it's strictly a mechanical machine (no computers). There is very little difference between the 98E and 98Q models. Hope this info helps.