Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter? >
  • June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

• June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

I'm right handed and I have the same problem with my JT slotted rulers. I thought it was just me as well!
    Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM
    Power Poster

I use my June Tailor with the Olfa cutter and haven't had any problems, both size blades and I'm a major klutz. I have no idea why you're having this problem. Watch, my next cut will be the ruler! LOL
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

Interesting. I haven't had any problem using the slotted rulers with any size or brand of rotary cutter. Everyone holds the cutter differently but I was taught by the JT rep at a quilt show how to cut correctly, always start the cutter at the top of the big teardrop slot and then pull it back to the beginning and then make the cut in one pass. Hold the cutter straight up at a 45 degree angle. Do hot tilt the cutter to one side. I spend a lot of time at many vendor booths when I go to a show and ask dozens of questions how they do what they do to make perfect demos using their tools. They always have tips to making the tools easier to use.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Yep, I've learned to be very careful with mine now. Love the product and don't see a way to avoid it. I'm a righty, too.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM

I love my June Taylor ruler. But there was a learning curve to using it.
    I have to make sure my cutter is straight up and down. I guess I usually hold it at a bit of a slant left to right.
    I also just pull the slot open a bit when putting my cutter blade in, then let it go and hold that piece down well while cutting.
    I made a few nicks and scratches at first, but now we're dancing together just fine.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM

i've had nothing but troubles with her rulers.

i had the same problem as you and they replace it for free.

then i purchased their HST ruler and the marking and cutting lines weren't centered so i never got 1/4 seams and they never came out the correct size.

i wrote to them and they made me provide photos of how off the ruler was from accurate.

once they saw the proof they sent me a new one.

so the best i can say is their quality control is lacking but their customer service will always send you another ruler for free.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Those rotary cutters are razor sharp and will cut into anything. I have both, and have cut into both the June Taylor and the Dritzs.
    I still use them only am more careful now.
    I try to avoid the wavy part if I can

Just glad I don't have to cut with a scissors like grandma did. :)
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
    Power Poster

I did the same thing on my slotted ruler. I learned to be very careful and it still happens. Have a new blade and cut in low gear! This help. We must all belong to the same flub club!
    peace :D
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Interesting. I haven't had any problem using the slotted rulers with any size or brand of rotary cutter. Everyone holds the cutter differently but I was taught by the JT rep at a quilt show how to cut correctly, always start the cutter at the top of the big teardrop slot and then pull it back to the beginning and then make the cut in one pass. Hold the cutter straight up at a 45 degree angle. Do hot tilt the cutter to one side. I spend a lot of time at many vendor booths when I go to a show and ask dozens of questions how they do what they do to make perfect demos using their tools. They always have tips to making the tools easier to use.
    Do you mean I should be cutting toward my body, not away from it what I do now is stick it in the teardrop closet to me, try to get it straight up and down (which will be easier as soon as I re-screw my Olfa so the bulky screw half is on the OTHER side and I can actually see the blade.)

Thank you!
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
    Sue,

I'm beginning to think we are sisters from another mother! Both lefties and both gouging the June Tailor.

JUST last night I went to watch the JT demo videos because I was sure there was something I was doing wrong. I watched them all and noticed that when the woman puts the blade in to start it's on an angle and then she straightened it up when she starts cutting down the channel. I plan on trying that. It think we might be ever so slightly off of straight when using them and that's causing the problem.

later sis!
    Try re-screwing your Olfa so the thing is backwards - haven't tried it yet but got tip on it today. That way you can see the blade.

I guess other people have had the ruler problem without the benefit of being left-handed!~ LOL