Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . . >
  • Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

• Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 PM

My DH deals with my quilting better if I mend alittle for him, usually it's just a hole in a pair of jeans.

Before I started quilting I made a LOT of clothes for husband, self and DC and DGC and my family. On occassion I get asked to hem or fit a prom dress, and I do it because I can and I love to sew. When I was young mother, my sewing for others helped to put food on our table and bought my new sewing machine.
    Now I spend alot of time quilting, so I don't mind a change of pace to keep me in the "sewing mood". And now I just want to quilt....my poor DH had 2 western flannel shirts I made him nearly three years ago, instead of taking time to make new, I turned the collars around so he could get a few more months out of them....ugh and they are his favorite shirts. Maybe by his birthday and christmas I will get some more made, it's not like I don't have the fabric, I own a small fabric store in basement.
    Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM

I never minded putting zippers in, I got where I could do it in no time flat(don't tell anyone). I DON'T Sew for anyone if I don't have too! I certainly don't have my shingle out for business. I have been known to tell people that!
    Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM

yes... once they find out I sew... then comes the questions; can you fix, when are you going to make me a quilt, etc. etc.
    why is that??????? :hunf:
    Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM
    Banned

I have 2 friends that want me to make them something all the time. They will get something made for Christmas, but I don't take in bead spreads, or shorten shirts, or do car covers, or make something bigger. these are just a few things these ladies have asked for. I kindly remind them that sitting at the sewing machine causes me severe pain, so I only make quilts now. One of these ladies even went and bought fabric, and then told me, I bought fabric so you can make me a table cloth. I have not done the table cloth, I think she went and had to pay someone $25.00 to do it. I am just to busy right now, trying to get birthday and Christmas quilting done. God bless.
    Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 AM

This is my response when someone asks if I will make them a quilt. Of course, I tell them they MUST get their fabric at the LQS and it will run them anywhere from $200 to $300, then I will need at least $250 for my labor and $150 for the long-arm quilter. Needless to say, they don't ask again.

In the same vein, if someone finds out that you quilt, do they ask you if your machine will embroider and can you put their name / logo / number, etc., on their shirt / hat / t-shirt?

Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    Now, when someone asks, I politely say, "I'll be happy to make it for you. I'll send you the list of material's you need. Then you can go to the shop and pick out your fabric and everything that you would need to make the purse. When you have it, give it to me. The cost for making it will be $25.
    Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, I get that all the time. I only do alterations for my hairdressers family tho.

I do charge for making quilts for people too.
    Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Annz
    Not really. I have 3 sons so they only ask when they need something mended or a button put on.
    I will teach my son how to sew buttons so that I do not unleash another helpless male on the world.
    Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 AM

He also knows how to cook and make his own bed from the mattress pad up. Laundry and buttons are next.
    Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by polly13
    I make quilted wallets as special gifts. I have been requested more than once with the following line: "The quilted ones you buy aren't half as nice and they want $20. for them." They seem to think I will make one for free after receiving that compliment. Never seem to get around to it.
    Well, they've set your price point: $40.00 :P :lol:
    Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 AM

I don't really mend clothes. I've done some minor alterations for my teenage daughter (shortened a skirt, fixed a zipper). But my time is usually worth more than the cost of replacement (especially jeans, if they're on sale). My rude and ungrateful stepson has shown up ON Halloween asking for alterations to whatever costume he bought at the party store. Last time, I used safety pins.

My daughter's school has sucked me in, however. I am their costume designer/creator. I've made about 40 medieval outfits, 5 Ancient Greek, and a dozen or so 1930's-era. Those required altering a whole lot of thrift store purchases.

On the up side, they are finally paying me a small stipend, and covering the cost of materials.