Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just bought an acuquilt go... yikes!!! >
  • Just bought an acuquilt go... yikes!!!

• Just bought an acuquilt go... yikes!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=judy_68;4730810]I just spent $200 on an acuquilt go cutter. I soooo hope I don't regret it. My husband talked me into buying it. I work 50+ hours a week so hopefully this will allow me to make more quilts.

Does anybody know if they make a die 1-1/2" squares or do you use the strips then cut them????
    Any hints on using it would be great.
    Thank you,
    Judy
    It depends a lot on the quality of the fabric and whether you lay your fabric on the die with the lengthwise grain up & down & not the opposite way. I would recommend cutting strips with the Accuquilt & then cutting them into the size squares or rectangles you want. I just finished piecing a quilt with a lot of 2 1/2 inch squares. Some of the squares weren't really 2 1/2 inches both directions. And as I mentioned before, one fabric wasn't as good quality as another. That made a big difference. More closely woven fabric cuts more accurately than less closely woven.
    Hope this experience of mine will help someone else.
    Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Congrats on your new baby - DH is a keeper
    Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM

I also just got the Go! My dear hubby and our son gave it to me for early Christmas gift.. I haven't used it yet, I actually am trying to finish up some of the gazillion ufo's I have around...but I sure am itching to try it out!! I got the Go Mix and Match Starter Set, and I also got the 2 1/2" strip cutter and extra mats...so I have a lot of different dies to try out. I almost think I need to have a quilt in mind before I try it out..which to me sounds like I am looney!!... Ah well, maybe soon...Good luck to you, and please post and let us know how it goes!!
    Kif
    Old 12-02-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by pamroever
    Hey, I am a lurker and thought I would jump in here.
    I just bought the GO cutter. I was looking to buy some dies. I looked at Sewnvac but I don't see where you can buy dies. I can only find vacuums and sewing machines. Thanks
    Go to the main screen, click on Site Index and you will see the Accuquilt list and you can see the dies by clicking on any of the pictures to view the items in each. Best prices I have found.
    Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 PM

I have the Go and love it. I like that the cuts are all the same. I can't get that kind of consistent accuracy with my ruler and rotary cutter no matter how careful I am.

I don't think you will regret your purchase.
    Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm pea green with envy! I've wanted one forever!
    Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM

you will love this. The first day I bought mine I took all of my scrap fabric and turned it into different squares and put them into clear bins. I have used those squares in applique alot and of course if I need a square I have it as well. I can't remember what all of the sizes are but if you go to accuquilt.com you'll see all of the different dies they have and patterns you can get; some are free. The main thing is to watch the grain of fabric so it doesn't stretch when cutting. The instructions tell you this. You can use a marker and mark on the foam around the blades to that it is easier to see the cutting edges and where to place the fabric to make the smallest amount of waste.
    Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pam1111
    Go to the main screen, click on Site Index and you will see the Accuquilt list and you can see the dies by clicking on any of the pictures to view the items in each. Best prices I have found.
    Some quilting stores have them on sale; Fabric Hut here always have them discounted. Ebay has them and if you see a grouping of them but already have some in that group some of the sellers will substitute them if you ask. I've gotten really good deals on eBay
    Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
    The 1 1/2" strip cutter for the GO is on sale today!
    http://www.accuquilt.com/go-shop/sal...ter-1-1-2.html
    this shows the 2 1/2 one on sale for a good price.
    Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Thank you for all your advice. I have not had a chance to mess with it much. We have been working on my sewing room but Im sure I will love it.
    Does anybody know how long the dies last? Im hoping I don't have to spend too much more money on it. Buying the dies is going to be prices. Im just hoping they last awhile.
    Judy