Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • just curious: how do YOU decide your next project? >
  • just curious: how do YOU decide your next project?

• just curious: how do YOU decide your next project?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 AM

Well, I saw a table runner I want to make in the last issue of Fons & Porter mag. called twisted triangles. It takes a 60 degree pyramid ruler (their brand of course). The template was in the mag. so I copied it onto cutting board plastic and dove in. I go in spurts in whatever appeals to me at the time. Heaven knows I have enuf stash to tackle about anything but I do try to stay with one thing at a time and finish that before I move on.
    Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 AM

that question is easy -the project picks us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
    JS

I too work on one project at a time, Also my sewing area must be in order. I know I am obsessed with neat and clean To ad to my twisted mind...ever since childhood I eat one thing at a time on my plate.All closet doors in my bedroom must be shut when I go to bed etc.Crazy but, somehow I have learned to live with it.
    Old 08-27-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by rismstress
    While I am working on one quilt, there will be a batch of fabric on the shelf or a book that jumps into my lap and screams, "make me, make me." So I find myself thinking about the next project while I am still doing one. Sometimes the screaming is so loud, I have to hurry up and finish the current one so I can start the next one and silence the screams.
    Cheryl
    This is what I do too. However, every once in awhile I have to start the new project before the old one is done because it just can't wait! :-D
    Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
    that question is easy -the project picks us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So true. Some else said the projects scream Pick me, pick me. I know they do in my sewing studio.
    Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 AM

BIFTB (Before I found the Board) I would look through old quilting magazines to find a new project. I still always have several going at a time not to mention the UFOs. Now thanks to the richness, variety and inspiration from this board I have notes, printouts and bookmarks all over the place. Really like the idea of having a list or a journal so I have less of a mess and can use it as an inspiration. I want to thank all of you that post pictures and tuts. I don't aways comment but the beauty of your work inspires me. Thank you all.
    Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 AM

I always have several quilts to work on. My method is to work on them in phases. One time I will just gather my fabrics for a new project, the next day cut, then just machine sew and another time set aside for hand sewing and pinning while I am watching TV. It works for me and offers a diversion from doing the same thing all time. Sometimes I just organize my quilt studio and go through magazines to get new ideas.
    Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Since I've returned to quilting, I only physically work on one project at a time; I know I would never finish anything if I skipped around. I do however spend a little time planning out/buying fabric for the next project; and there is always another project!
    Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM

I used to work on one project at a time. Then I worked on two. Now I work on about 6-8 at a time. When I get something close to being finished, I generally devote all my time to that project until it's finished. Otherwise, I just work on whatever is next in line on my table, inserting BOM's as I receive them, and move to the next when I get tired of the current one.
    Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM

I do one at a time. Honestly those bits and pieces in neat named piles are WTD and not WIP or UFOs.

WTd- work to do. WIP - Work in Progress. UFO - Unidentifiable Fabric Objects.