Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just curious...quilt tops? >
  • Just curious...quilt tops?

• Just curious...quilt tops?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 AM

I love the hand quilting. Sure it takes longer, but so satisfing when finished. The look is entirely different. I've seen lots of beautiful machine quilting but, to me, it still dosn't replace hand quilting. I have done some sid machine quilting but much prefer the end result of hand quilting. I also have a stack of tops to be quilted but will still take the time to hand quilt when possible. I sure don't plan on paying someone else to machine quilt them. There is enough expense involved.
    Old 05-07-2010, 07:00 AM

I only do handquilting...not only because it is expensive if you have to send it to someone, the mainreson is...I like it better !!! :)
    Old 05-07-2010, 07:05 AM

I also use basting spray and love it! No more pins for me.
    Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 AM

I do it on a regular sewing machine. It takes awhile to fold and get it right but it can be done, it just takes time. And as far as stash that comes with time. I look every where I go , sales , goodwills, esp goodwills. Las t week I bought 4 diiferent pieces of material and pad 5.00 and there was 8 yards of fabric. you will build it up in time.
    Old 05-07-2010, 07:40 AM

I quilt my own quilts on my Bernina 180. Yes, I've even done king-size quilts. I use the "fluff-and-stuff" method. You stuff part of the quilt through the opening and then fluff it up and then just quilt a bit at a time. And the main thing about quilting on your regular machine is getting the timing of your hands and your feet coordinated. First of all your hands have to go slower than your machine motor. Also, check out some of the decorative stitches on your machine and use your even feed foot and they make great straight-line designs. On my 180 I use the #4 stitch and lengthen it to 3 and shorten to 3.
    Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Google free motion quilting. I found Leah Day- she has the most amazing free motion tutorials. She uses a regular domestic machine. I do too, although I am a novice at FMQ, I have done several Queens and other smaller sizes with SID and echo quilting. I am a right-angles sort of person, so that suits me. I have done some FMQ on charity quilts.
    Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 AM

I hand quilt, its very time consuming but hey! I have time. you may also want to look into hand tied. I know its not a prefered method to quilt but with a little practice and an eye for what to look for in a pattern you can make some GREAT quilts in no time at all! I saw a quilt a few months ago that a friend of mine was doing a running stitch with crochet thread! it looked really nice, my sil is doing one with running stitch in yarn.
    there are SO many options out there, dont let the popular method distract you from other creative options :D
    Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Where are u in Fla? I live in Jacksonville. When you do the walking foot, do you have the bottom on too?
    Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM

I have a walking foot and don't use it that much. I stitch in the ditch with a regular foot. Go to >www:daystyledesigns.com< There are several videos there, showing how to quilt with a regular machine. Most of these are done using a regular darning foot, standard issue with most machines. Good luck!!
    Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM

I bought the walking foot and find it is easier than a reg foot when quilting. I coouldn't do it with the reg foot. My ole singer is great!