Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just curious >
  • Just curious

• Just curious

Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM

I found 2 pieces of fabric at a rummage sale. I'm curious about the printing on the selvedge.

1- 100% cotton Made in Japan Color Collage Screen Print D# 6494

2- Concord Fabrics Inc. designed by the Kesslers Crafted with pride in the USA

I don't have much of a stash, but have never seen this much printing on a selvedge. Any idea how old this fabric is, or where it was available for sale?
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Did you try Googling?
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM
    Google Goddess

you need to google and see what you can find
    Originally Posted by quilt1950
    I found 2 pieces of fabric at a rummage sale. I'm curious about the printing on the selvedge.

1- 100% cotton Made in Japan Color Collage Screen Print D# 6494

2- Concord Fabrics Inc. designed by the Kesslers Crafted with pride in the USA

I don't have much of a stash, but have never seen this much printing on a selvedge. Any idea how old this fabric is, or where it was available for sale?
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Did you try Googling?
    I did google. I found that Concord Fabrics makes fleece and knits. Not what I bought. I could not find anything about the fabric made in Japan.

Any suggestions for search words?
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
    Banned

Concord Fabric has not been printed under that name for several years. The last time I saw them as a company was probably 15 yrs ago. It was one of the groups of companies that included VIP. I am not sure if it was printed in Massachusetts or NC by Cranston Print Works or in South Carolina. It was one of the earlier companies printing fabric for quilters. I have a wallhanging made from one of their design lines which was made in 1979. It is a bit faded but still on the wall behind the couch. It was good fabric.

Kessler (especially Joan) was one of the principle designers for the company.

If it feels like one of our quilting quality fabrics then it was probably printed in Japan because it has more colors in it than the US companies were able to print.
    Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Concord Fabric has not been printed under that name for several years. The last time I saw them as a company was probably 15 yrs ago. It was one of the groups of companies that included VIP. I am not sure if it was printed in Massachusetts or NC by Cranston Print Works or in South Carolina. It was one of the earlier companies printing fabric for quilters. I have a wallhanging made from one of their design lines which was made in 1979. It is a bit faded but still on the wall behind the couch. It was good fabric.

Kessler (especially Joan) was one of the principle designers for the company.

If it feels like one of our quilting quality fabrics then it was probably printed in Japan because it has more colors in it than the US companies were able to print.

Thanks. Both fabrics feel great.
    Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM

Hello, I know this message was posted a while ago, but the purple Japanese Color Collage fabric is what I am in desperate need of! Do you still have some? Thank you, Eileen Sweeney
    Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM

In a recent search for this fabric, I discovered the line on the Jo-Ann Fabrics website. It is in their Premium Quilt Fabric line, and there is a purple version.