Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just had to tell someone >
  • Just had to tell someone

• Just had to tell someone

Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    the finches are back, so spring MUST be around the corner, just wish I knew which corner!!!
    Are you talking about the American Goldfinches? They winter down here in the Texas Hill Country in their drabby lime green feathers but are still a delight. One year back in the late 1980's we were having a long hard winter and the Goldfinches stayed longer, and were getting their beautiful bright yellow and black plummage before heading back to their nesting areas up north. We would stand at our dining room table and watch them at the feeder just outside the window and savor the fact that we actually got to see them in their beautiful spring attire! Now we have another one, the Lessar's Goldfinch that stays here and nests here that is very similar, has a solid black back but bright yellow underneath.

Also we have the Junco at our feeders as well but they prefer the platform and the ground. OH and I love love love the little Ruby-Crowned Kinglets!

But when these precious birds come back to you then it is just a matter of weeks and the hummingbirds are back. They usually are back here around the 3rd or 4th week in March, dependent upon the weather.
    Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by trueimage
    The mesquite trees aren't budding yet....that's the only way to distinguish a false spring with the real deal in Texas. Tried and true. When they bud...you know it's spring!!!
    My grandmother (Lockhart, TX) told me years ago that once you see the scissortails there will be no more freezes, and the same with the mesquite trees budding green. She is long gone but she told me that in the 1980's and I have applied that test every year and I think those old timers had it nailed.
    Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 AM

It is a beautiful day today. The sun is shining here and the birds are having breakfast in the feeder. Oh yes, thank you for reminding me to say "Thank You" to the creator of all things good.
    Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Love these balmy days before spring gets here. Nice to have doors open and no heat unit going.
    Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    Good morning! I was looking out my living room window just now(God gave the most beautiful sunrise this morning) and I Saw Two Robins! A good sign that spring is on the way! Makes me want to break out the spring table runners and maybe make a new one. Just had to tell someone. DH is still in bed, too early to call friends or sisters. Have a great day! Lisa :D :D :D
    Great news! If they're showing up in Ohio, they should be in Michigan soon!
    Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue
    Good morning! I was looking out my living room window just now(God gave the most beautiful sunrise this morning) and I Saw Two Robins! A good sign that spring is on the way! Makes me want to break out the spring table runners and maybe make a new one. Just had to tell someone. DH is still in bed, too early to call friends or sisters. Have a great day! Lisa :D :D :D
    Great news! If they're showing up in Ohio, they should be in Michigan soon!

Marilyn Sue,
    Where did you get that quilt pattern in your avatar? I want it! It is gorgeous.
    Vernell in Austin
    Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM

It is in the 70's again today. I walked around the yard and seen all my daffodils up about 2 inches and in my small flower bed I have 9 hyacinths up about 4 inches. Yea, Spring is here!!! My DH says yuck, almost time to get the mower out. [He is tired of the cold though and what snow we got] I do worry about that too. He needs 4 bypasses, but the Crazy Drs. want to wait for more symptoms before they do it. He died on me 7 yrs ago and I was able to jump start his heart again and he had 5 bypasses then. He is 60 now. This was in MI. Here in SC, I guess they are waiting for him to die again. DUHHHHH!! I want him more than our 37 yrs. together. Sorry about that. Got going again, but it just frustrates me. We had 3 opinions too. Anyways HAPPY SPRING TO EVERYONE!!!!! We have many Cardinals , blue birds, finches, woodpeckers, Doves, pigeons, many many hummingbirds[my favorites] and of course those rotten squirrels that eat the bird food.
    Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Well, last year the STUPID robins were walking on the snow. They always seem to send out a scout or two. I never thought robins were too bright.
    Would you say they have 'bird brains'?!
    Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Same here. Can't wait for spring. Just around the corner.
    Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM

I so miss welcoming spring, what we get here in Fla is another balmy day, and a few flowers that come back after the cold spell, not complaining, just have to watch for the subtle signs of spring. Its like the re awakening of the world!:)