Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just how do you do it? Square the quilts up I mean. >
  • Just how do you do it? Square the quilts up I mean.

• Just how do you do it? Square the quilts up I mean.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM

I just watched the video......I think it's really good! I never knew how to do this. I just cut!

My question is what do you use when there isn't an inside border?

TIA-
    Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM

No one minded to identify that accent for me? I love regional variations in language and speech and would like to know.
    Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
    Power Poster

It definitely helps to keep things lined up as one goes.

Trying to fix a lot of wonkiness when the top is "finished" is almost futile.
    Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnnieH
    The youtube video is good but I'm having trouble even being square on the inner borders. Must improve. Love the laser thingy. Think it would just depress me if I used one as I'm so wonky.
    Annie
    When you attach inner borders do you measure your quilt's length and width at the center of the quilt, then cut your borders to these dimensions? Example: Measure length of quilt in the center of the quilt, not at the edge. Cut side borders to this measurement. Attach and ease in any fullness. Once attached then measure your quilt's width for top and bottom. Again measure at the center of your quilt, cut your top and bottom to this measurement and attach, once more easing in any fullness. This should square up your quilt. You can now measure top and bottom it should be the same measurement. Same with left and right sides. Your corners should be nice and square as well.
    Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    No one minded to identify that accent for me? I love regional variations in language and speech and would like to know.
    I noticed this too! I went to the website Overallquilter.com and the company is located in South Carolina.

Last edited by Arleners; 02-02-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: made a mistake
    Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 AM

Squaring up begins as soon as you sew two pieces of a block together. Everytime another piece is added, the section is squared. When the entire block is pieced, the block is squared again. After adding sashing or borders, I stay stitch around the quilt top, so the fabric doesn't stretch when handling, and adding other blocks, sashing, etc.
    By squaring up as you piece the quilt top, it will be square when the top is finished.
    Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888
    I think the most important thing is to square up the blocks as you sew. If I'm working on say a 12" finished block I square that up to 12 1/2" before adding it to another block or sashing. Once all blocks are sewn together I will take 3 measurements each way (middle, each side) (horizonal, vertical) to ensure they are correct before adding the first border. If your blocks are coming up SHORT, I fudge that with the sashing or the next block ( of course making sure the next block is correct first).
    Ditto! Every smidgeon that is off adds up in the end. I have learned to sew small bits then measure and trim. More work along the way but better results in the end. Haven't tried blocking yet.
    Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the question. No matter what classes I have taken, we never seem to get to that point...squaring the quilt.
    I know I should check each block but just want to keep sewing. Obviously I'll have to mend my ways. Also Will watch the video and get some pointers.
    Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    When you attach inner borders do you measure your quilt's length and width at the center of the quilt, then cut your borders to these dimensions? Example: Measure length of quilt in the center of the quilt, not at the edge. Cut side borders to this measurement. Attach and ease in any fullness. Once attached then measure your quilt's width for top and bottom. Again measure at the center of your quilt, cut your top and bottom to this measurement and attach, once more easing in any fullness. This should square up your quilt. You can now measure top and bottom it should be the same measurement. Same with left and right sides. Your corners should be nice and square as well.
    I have never had any luck with the "easing" of fabric. I put the longer side on the bottom and no matter how I try, I either get a pucker or am too short . And I'm not talking about a lot of fabric-maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch at most.
    Any suggestions?
    Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 AM

this is the one i use. it never fails. and it pays to by the laser leveler.

http://chubbymother.blogspot.com/200...ing-quilt.html