Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it just me or is this expensive. >
  • Is it just me or is this expensive.

• Is it just me or is this expensive.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Afraid when we get to pay the tax vat etc to cover our upcoming health care U.S. prices will be same as your's in Canada. Stock up folks...
    Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 AM

I paid 7 dollars for a yard at joanns
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by poultney
    I am confused. You call it Pellon for the purses. I thought Pellon was a brand. But you mention fleece. Can you just use fleece and spray glue?
    I think at one time the Pellon brand of interfacing was the only one available. As a result, whenever anyone needed interfacing, they just asked for Pellon and the store clerks knew what they wanted. Now there are so many different kinds, brands, made of different fibers, etc., that if you specifically want the Pellon brand, you have to ask for it.

I don't know about using fleece for purses. I think for the stiffening at the bottom you would need something more substantial. I'm sure someone else on the board can offer a better recommendation than I. Sorry.
    Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM

I bought a bolt of it when it was 50% off at Joann's and I had my VIP card so I also got an additional 10% off of it. Being in a border city sure does help when there is a big cost difference in items and right now the dollar is really close so it's really not to bad.
    Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM

I was just going to suggest that--using JoAnn's coupons and my other thought is ordering on the internet possibly?? I believe if one uses a credit card, the exchange rate, etc is easier too.
    Originally Posted by cindle
    Originally Posted by shequilts
    I don't know what that is in US dollars, but it sure sounds expensive!
    Let me know if I can send you some.
    Aww thanks shequilts thats really sweet of you. I'm on a mission now lol I will find pellon for cheap. Actually I get Joann coupons in the mail maybe ill head over to the states cuz I'm there A LOT hehe and see what I can find shopping is so much better there too.
    Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM

So on a whim I decided to call Fabricland today to see how much the Pellon was. The lady I talked to on the phone said a light weight fusible pellon would be $3.99 a meter and the medium weight would be $4.99 a meter. So if they had both of these in stock which they do and did on Friday when I went in why was the lady trying to sell me the $15 a meter one????? Maybe she thought she could take advantage because I might have looked like I didn't know what I was doing. This makes me mad! sorry just had to rant lol.
    Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
    Banned

I went to Fabric Land (I dispise this store) to buy some things to start making a bow tuck tote. So after first trying to find someone to help me for a good 10 minutes I stood at the cash when a sales lady finally approached me asking if I needed help. I asked her where the pellon was and she showed me. I would never have found it because it was hidded under their cutting tables. She finds the one I need and is just about to cut when I asked how much it was meter. She then replied it is $15 a meter. I think my jaw hit the ground. I was like forget that I can get it cheaper in the states and walked out. Is pellon usually that expensive? When you make a bow tuck tote how much do all your supplies usually cost? Sorry this is so long I just can't believe the cost some things at some stores compaired to the cost at others.
    Be grateful you are not in GB the nearest quilt shop to me charges £12.99 metre, and their offer fabrics are £6.00-------I nearly choked and walked out!!
    Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM

There are many types of Pellon. In addition to the fusible interfacings they also sell fusible fleece which is more costly.

Several of the patterns I have for purses recommend Pellon 987F fubsible fleece. Suggested retail in the states is $6.99/yd. however, this is 45" wide rather than the usual 20" width of most other Pellon products. It seems to work very well for me.

Hope you find this helpful.

Peggy in Beautiful, Sunny Florida!
    Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM

So on a whim I decided to call Fabricland today to see how much the Pellon was. The lady I talked to on the phone said a light weight fusible pellon would be $3.99 a meter and the medium weight would be $4.99 a meter. So if they had both of these in stock which they do and did on Friday when I went in why was the lady trying to sell me the $15 a meter one????? Maybe she thought she could take advantage because I might have looked like I didn't know what I was doing. This makes me mad! sorry just had to rant lol.
    She was probablty quoting you prices on Pellon interfacing which is used in making clothes. The thicker, stiffer product you want is likely much more expensive.
    Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 AM

It is about $10Australian a meter/yard. But we are a lot dearer here compared to USA. It is about $8 per meter/yard your money.