Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it just my crowd or what? >
  • Is it just my crowd or what?

• Is it just my crowd or what?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
    Power Poster

It is true we don't usually give a quilt to a fellow quilter. My best friend, who has now past away, once said to me, you know you've made a quilt for all your friends except me. She felt a little sad about this and then it wasn't long after that she was diagnosed with cancer and passed away within 6 months. Took her comment too lightly at the time but have thought about it several times since. Guess when a quilt just reminds us of a certain we should give it to them whether they quilt or not.
    Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
    Power Poster

I made one that I am raffeling off at my guild starting in April. All the $ will go to my guild and some one in my guild will win it.
    Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM

I have made several to auction off during my womens club twice yearly fund raiser, but so many of the ladies quilt that I sometimes feel that if I gave them a quilt when they were my secret pals that it wouldn't measure up to the ones they could do for themselves, although I have been a quilter for 25 years, I am still insecure about my skills as a quilter
    Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM

We just finished up doing 2 memory quilts for two of our ladies in the sewing club.
    The first one was done with siggy stars from us all and I did up a star with her picture in the center of the star.
    This was for her birthday(95th). And believe it or not she still drives herself and also is on a bowling league yet.
    She is our oldest member and our quilt police. No nagging but VERY informative for us newbies.
    The second quilt was made the same for another member who just turned 92. She has been feeling under the weather lately and we thought she needed one.
    Both were very much appreciated and they both had tears in their eyes when they received them.
    That made our day just watching their reactions .
    Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM

DM and I are both quilters. The other day she said, you have never made me a quilt! I felt really bad. Now I am going to have to get busy and make her one!!! She has never actually made one for me, but she did give DH one that we keep on our bed- I guess you can say it is "ours".
    Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

I never thought about it ... I have made quilts for family and new babies and grandbabies of friends, but I have never even thought about making one for my quilting friends before. I guess I thought they could make their own. I'll be thinking about that.
    Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Originally Posted by SuziC
    I never thought of that! I think you are right. I never think to give a quilt to a quilt maker! But i always think others do better work than me!
    Guilty Suzi! Me too. :mrgreen:
    I think this may be the case. I think we are all just a little bit insecure, yet, we enter our quilts in shows where they are scrutinized my people we often don't even know.
    Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
    I never thought of that! I think you are right. I never think to give a quilt to a quilt maker! But i always think others do better work than me!
    That's why I don't make quilts for fellow quilters. They know about quilting and can spot any mistakes. For most of the other friends they don't know about it so even if the mistake is obvious they don't know it's a mistake.

Our group makes quilts for people who leave our area, everyone makes a 12.5" block what ever they want and we put it together for our friend. It's always turned out nicely. Once we make a quilted book and everyone made a block 7"x12" and it was put togethe with ribbon on the sides. It turned out really cool.
    Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 AM

My MIL gave us a quilt for our wedding present and she owns a quilting business. But I would never make her one, because I would be afraid she would see my mistakes.
    Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

My friend's mother's quilt club/quilt did this. taking turns as to who's quilt they worked on.. 1980's.

The quilt I am involved, as a thankyou and appreciation, we do work of the president as she leaves office.

Mine is more of a show and tell, always a program, wonderful presentations, authors of books explainging their work, historical presentations on quilts or fabrics or local and national exhabits. Always quilts are made for community efforts, cancer patents, hospitals, veterns.

So, maybe you need to look around, hopefully you live in an area where you may have a choice and a quilt that fits your own personality.

Good luck,
    Ell