Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kathy's Happy Daisies >
  • Kathy's Happy Daisies

• Kathy's Happy Daisies

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 AM

Default Kathy's Happy Daisies

I had asked for a girly girl pattern and was pointed toward Kathy's Happy Daisies. Then I noticed there were 8 pages of requests for the pattern. If you have made the quilt, please share your pictures!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...es-t58236.html
    Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 AM

I love it too, it is on my bucket list. I have been known to copy quilts I see that I really like. I think that may be why some vendors at quilt shows forbid photos; they want you to buy the pattern. Many times patterns are simply different arrangements of age-old blocks that have been around as long as quilting itself. I do buy patterns when I cannot duplicate it myself.
    Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM

She explained it in her post: "I copied it and named it 'Happy Daisies'. I played around with paper until I got the size petals and stems that I wanted. Then I made a template. The blocks are 13" square and then cut in half and sewed together, then squared to 12 1/2". I copy lots of things I see, unless it specifically says don't copy it. If that's not okay, then I'm a dead duck. I do not have a creative mind. Even though I don't know where it came from originally, I do remember my mom making a daisy quilt about 50 years ago. She didn't use the positive/negative color scheme, just the daisy petals. That's probably why I like this quilt so much, it reminds me of her."

I loved it too and it's on my bucket list to do

Here's another entry she made further down in the post:

I do not have a pattern. I don't know how much fabric is needed. I don't know how to teach. This is basic instructions as I remember. My quilt is 59 X 81. There are 24 blocks, four across and six down, and a 6 1/2 inch unfinished border. I tried to not duplicate any colors. The best I can tell, if you had a white fat quarter and a colored fat quarter, you could get two blocks from that set, one with the color on the left and one with the color on the right. There would be a little fabric left over, but not a lot.

I cut a 13 inch square of white and a 13 inch square of colored fabric. I then cut those 13 inch squares in half. I sewed a color to a white with a 1/4 inch seam. I used wonder under on the fabric that would make the petals, leafs, stem and center of the daisy. I did raw edge applique around all the pieces. Then I squared the blocks to 12 1/2 inch. "

Last edited by virtualbernie; 09-23-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: to add additional info
    Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 AM

If anyone made the Happy Daisies quilt, please post any pictures you might have remembered to take. I have to wrap a string around my whole head to remember sometimes!!