Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kaufman Kona cotton at Hobby Lobby >
  • Kaufman Kona cotton at Hobby Lobby

• Kaufman Kona cotton at Hobby Lobby

Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Kaufman Kona cotton at Hobby Lobby

I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and was browsing through the solids. I pulled a bolt out and looked at the label--Robert Kaufman Kona cotton. I didn't know they carried it. Our HL had a good selection and was $7.99 per yard on sale at 30% off.
    Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
    Power Poster

Be sure that it is on a bolt that Robert Kaufman has made to ship their fabric out to various stores. If it isn't, it may be seconds, which in other words, NOT 1st quality fabric.
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
    Power Poster

Was the price $7.99 after or before the 30% off?

I ask because Hancocks of Paducah regular non sale price for Kona is $5.98 per yard
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Be sure that it is on a bolt that Robert Kaufman has made to ship their fabric out to various stores. If it isn't, it may be seconds, which in other words, NOT 1st quality fabric.
    Robert Kaufman does not sell irregulars or seconds. This has been discussed many times here on the board. The Robert Kaufman company has even posted in response. If it is on a bolt with the Robert Kaufman label then it is true Robert Kaufman Kona cotton - first quality no matter where it is sold.
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM

I have bought Kona cotton at Hobby Lobby. Great top quality fabric.
    Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Kona at Hobby Lobby is quality and the $7.99 is reg. price. Take 30 percent off that. Such a deal.
    Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM

I also have bought Kona fabric at HL as well as their other fabric. I really like it. Their fabric is manufactured by many companies that do not always have their name on the bolt. In fact I saw the same fabric as HL in several LQS. Also you can use the 40% off coupon on the sale fabric if you tell the cutter that is what you want to do and she will write up the fabric at regular price and they will take the 40% coupon off at the register. also the 40% off coupon can be used on regular price of sale items instead of the advertised % off. Coupons can be printed from HL site. Unfortunalely HL does not take other stores coupons. Also I just learn that the sale associate ringing up your sale on the register need to REMEMBER what items are on sale. ( the register does not ring up sale prices) So be sure to check your receipt before leaving the store. This just hapopen to me when 30%off batting was rung up at regular price not the sale price. .
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

Good to know, thank you.
    Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
    Kona at Hobby Lobby is quality and the $7.99 is reg. price. Take 30 percent off that. Such a deal.
    So, $5.59 per yard at Hobby Lobby. With Hancock's of Paducah's frequent sitewide sales, you'd beat that at 10% off...and their sales are more often 15% or 20% off...plus they have every single color of Kona Solids made. Deals are all relative.

And if a fabric manufacturer is not putting their name on a bolt of something you "think" is their fabric, then there's a good reason. In 99.9% of the cases, it's because the fabric on that bolt is a knock-off made by someone else with fewer print runs, and less expensive goods. If, by any chance, it's one of the 0.01% that WAS a test run by a name manufacturer, it was still done on cheaper goods with fewer print runs.

Your decision entirely, as always, but there is absolutely no reason a name brand manufacturer would not want to put their name on a bolt they produced unless it was something they did not want to have their name associated with. Think about it.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-19-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 AM

I have bought Kona cotton from Hobby Lobby and been very pleased with it. But I will start buying it from our LQS. I was pleasantly surprised to find Kona cotton in a huge array of colors for $5.99. I would have thought they would sell it for much higher since it was a LQS.