Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM

I would like to support our LQS, but the one that is closest to me is outrageously priced, has classes when I can't possibly take them, and frankly, I don't stand for long periods of time any more, so shopping online makes sense for me. I find much better prices there also, I can shop in the middle of the night when I am awake, rather than try to wake up for their hours. For example, I just ordered, at 330am, the last bit of fabric I need for my son's quilt. While I was on that website (connecting threads), I found a ton of fabric that I loved on clearance for 2.96 a yard. Find me a LQS with those prices. Got free shipping, and I don't think I paid taxes on it either. I ended up getting 27 yards of fabric for under a hundred dollars. Had I been in my LQS, I would probably barely been able to pay for the fabric I needed for the specific quilt. I will definetely be using all of the fabric, so it was a great deal I never would have found in my own backyard. Since it is a company doing business in America, I am still supporting my economy.
    Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 PM

I have always tried to get everything at our local shop but I think the last few times I'd be in there she would ignore me and be busy eating lunch, talking to other employees, cutting fat quarters...I also in general don't think they made much effort at helping pick fabrics and stuff like that. Im new to quilting so I need probably more help that everyone else. I have told them that too. I think if they would make more effort I'd love to shop there. But now I will go to the local wal mart. There's a lady there that helps me alot more.
    Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM

My LQS owner keeps her dog in the shop with her..we all love ton see her. Often there arecquilters working at her tables, too. Is is a very friendly place!
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Jeanne Fauss
    I have always tried to get everything at our local shop but I think the last few times I'd be in there she would ignore me and be busy eating lunch, talking to other employees, cutting fat quarters...I also in general don't think they made much effort at helping pick fabrics and stuff like that. Im new to quilting so I need probably more help that everyone else. I have told them that too. I think if they would make more effort I'd love to shop there. But now I will go to the local wal mart. There's a lady there that helps me alot more.
    You're right, customer service makes all the difference! Lots of people appreciate having help choosing fabrics that play well together. And not just new quilters, either! Sometimes you just want somebody else to confirm your own choices.