Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-06-2011, 06:17 AM

I would love to support my local quilt shop. Her material went up from $10.95 a yard to $17.00 and up a yard. I'm now retired and I mostly buy her material when on sale or drive to R.I. to purchase some material. I just drove to RECO a factory outlet in Mass and there material starts at $10.00 a yard. I just bought some flannel material at 50% off, $3.00 a yard at JoAnnes in Mass. Not bad.

Has anyone on the board worked with flannel for a quilt? I was told to pre-wash then spray starch then press before I use it because flannel shrinks. Need your comments, please.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 AM

I worry about my LQS. I am doing the Christmas Tree BOM through her. The price comes to $180. Hancocks/Paducah had theirs originally for $189, now it is down to $129. I know they can lower their price because they are big, but how are the little shops supposed to compete? I want to touch my fabric before I purchase and I want the local shop to succeed!
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I too think its not my responsibly to keep someone in business. I like going to LQS but if they want to stay viable in this tough market with rising commodity prices then they need to maybe find away to broaden their demographic market.

Offer more entry level classes, allow kids and husbands to come in the store or at least not make then feel like outcast for being there. Offer sales and special rewards. Offer some cheap basic level classes to get new people interested. And maybe "gasp" find some cheaper lines to offer those that can not pay 10+ a yard. If they can not get good prices on their own then they need to reach out to other LQS and form a co-op and have buying power together

but those are just my thoughts. Like I said I like going but I cannot afford more then 5$ or so a yard for most of my quilts
    I agree and also wish our LQS would offer some classes and some good sales. Our closest shop is 20 miles away and she never offers good sales. The next closest shops are 50+ miles away. The shops in that area offer some good classes and good sales. That is where I take my money when I need or want fabric.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 AM

Ladies we all do our best to support our local shops even if it is with a small purchase and be sure to know that the owners do appreciate all.
    Peggy Anne's is closing the store in Concord,NH but she is opening a new store in Candia,NH where they will sell and service Bernina sewing machine just as they have in Concord. They are taking the rest of the shop online for a while as her father is ill and she needs to take care of him. She does say that in time she will open a new shop but her father will be the guiding factor as to when that will happen.
    The Little Lamb is closed now in part due to the economy, the owners health and that there are some places close to all these shops that sell fabrics and many times the price is below wholesale.
    These are the same fabrics that the LQS buy and sell but they are purchased in such quantities and ends of rolls that they get a much different price.
    Checkerberries I had not heard about but I am sure she will try to stay in business. I will admit that I do not frequentther shop often due to the limited parking in her drive. I will not park on the shoulder of the road and it is a very busy main route in NH(Route 4) and you are taking a BIG chance by parking on the shoulder of the road as well as this is illegal to do so in the state of NH.
    Sometimes if you call a shop and ask if they have what we are looking for they will ship it. I have done this at times as it is cheaper to have it shipped then the 45 minute ride to and then back never mind the gas used.
    People say it will changed when is uncertain but in the meantime we should just try to do the best we can to support the local shops.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 AM
    Banned

I have one quilt shop in Keene, NH and have bought lots of fabric from them over the years.
    I have a stash larger than some shops, so when I buy I'm looking for specific types, prints, country of origin etc. Keene Mill End doesn't carry any fabric like I want.

I did in April buy some novelities on sale for my Guild's Charity Day. We were making quilts mainly for kids in Newport's Womens Shelter.
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
    I LOVE my LQS. Luckly their most expensive fabric price is $10.99 a yard. I am taking a 9 patch variation quilt class, it starts tomorrow. I am sooo excited. I went in today the pay for the class, I ended up buying the fabric for the class. I normally don't buy my fabric at the LQS, but I found a fabric that went well with my choices. I have to make my money streeeeeeeetch & lasssssssssst. (Like every1 on the board) :lol: :lol: :lol: My LQS will & can special order items for me. (Thats a ++++++++++++). The quilt is going to be a Xmas present for my sister-in-law. I hope she will LOVE LOVE it. ;-) ;-) ;-) We all have to do what we have to do, to make ends meet, & be able to afford our hobbys. (Sometimes a hobby is the only thing keeping us SANE!!!)

debra
    I absolutely love mine too. Some things may cost a bit more, but what I get in return is so much more. If I want advice, opinions, etc, I know I can go there and get great opinions and information. I occasionally buy something elsewhere, but rarely. I appreciate that the shop is local and I so appreciate that the shop is wheel chair accessible. You have no idea how many quilt shops are not!! And yes, even my LQS is cheaper than therapy!
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mary M
    I sure can understand where you are coming from. I too would love to buy only from the LQS but I just can't afford the prices of most of their fabrics. I have to be a very wise buyer when it comes to fabric and accessories for quilts I make. We do have one QS that is offering a good discount if we spend at least $50.00 at a time. It really is nice when a QS offers some good specials now and then. Of course I hate to see quilt stores closing because they aren't getting enough business but they aren't the only ones dealing with the price increases on everything from food to gas. A lot of us have our heads spinning because of rapid price increases. We can only do the best we can and if that means being wise buyers that is what has to be done.

Originally Posted by plainpat
    I love LQS fabrics,along with some goodies not seen in diff shops,but I can't afford to keep them in business,no matter how nice the fabric is.

I only shop good sales & clearaces.....regardless if it's a LQS or on line store.JMO
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by NHSOMND
    Peggy Anne's in Concord, and Little Lambs Quilt Shop in Barrington are closed/ closing. Checkerberries in Northwood is the shop that inventory is down, but they are looking at carrying some new lines of fabrics.
    is Peggy Ann's the one on Main Street. I was there with our quilt group bus trip in May.
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 AM

I don't buy much online because I want to see & feel the real thing before I give up my hard-come-by money. I shop every fabric shop in the area. While we may not like big box stores, they do pay wages to more local people than the small businesses do. Small businesses tend to "keep it in the family", which big box stores can't do (nepotism). That said, I dearly love the fabrics at my area LQSes, so I shop their often. Right now the owner of one of them is vacationing in Italy. No, it is NOT a business trip. If I could afford a trip to Italy I wouldn't be counting pennies when I go to her shop.
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Personally, I would love to shop at the LQS but can't afford to do that all the time. I am going to a Shop Hop in a couple of weeks and know I will come home with a lot of great stuff...books, fabric, etc. This will be my second Shop Hop..it was great fun. I am trying to use my stash as much as possible..I do have a large one..it takes great discipline and inside the shops mine flies out the window!