Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Yes, she was located on Main Street. Her new shop is on Route 27 in Candia,NH but it is only for sewing machines right now
    Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM

I agree. One of the two quilt shops in Moses Lake, WA, near where we live, just closed. Very sad.
    Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I too think its not my responsibly to keep someone in business. I like going to LQS but if they want to stay viable in this tough market with rising commodity prices then they need to maybe find away to broaden their demographic market.

Offer more entry level classes, allow kids and husbands to come in the store or at least not make then feel like outcast for being there. Offer sales and special rewards. Offer some cheap basic level classes to get new people interested. And maybe "gasp" find some cheaper lines to offer those that can not pay 10+ a yard. If they can not get good prices on their own then they need to reach out to other LQS and form a co-op and have buying power together

but those are just my thoughts. Like I said I like going but I cannot afford more then 5$ or so a yard for most of my quilts
    Abby.....time is flying.....gotta get that quilt done......you can get it done in 30 days, but if you're like me....I don't get anything done when I'm on this board!! :) :) :)
    Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM

We have a sewing machine/fabric store right next to Joann fabrics and they put a sign outside that said they would honor my 40% off coupon from Joann's on any one item. I always went there first!
    Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 AM

I was just at my LQS yesterday and bought some fabric. I agree with you that we need to support our local businesses. If we don't they will disappear. Imagine the prices you will see at the big box retailers then!
    Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM
    lue

My FAVORITE LQS went out of business two months ago and I am soooo sad about it. I had taken a Twisted Bargello class at her store years ago and never completed it. I went back two years ago to see if she were offering another class and she said, "Oh come on down and I'll show you how to do it." That was the beginning of a WONDERFUL friendship. I quilted there rather than at home because another woman came almost everyday and, while I couldn't go everyday because I still work, when I could get there the three of us just quilted and visited. It was wonderful. We'd order lunch at the Bento Box a few doors down and after eating, would return to quilting. Can't do that at Joanne's!
    Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM

You know, I buy so little fabric lately that I feel guilty about not supporting our little local shop which is really struggling. I've seen so many of them close and worry that the time will come when the only option we will have is on-line purchasing.
    Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM

I've read 4 pages of this thread and agree that we need to support locally owned businesses as much as we can. One little thing I try to do when shopping at a locally owned business is to pay cash rather than whipping out my plastic. I know the percentage a store has to pay the credit card company is not very much and probably won't mean the difference between make it or break it, I figure every little bit helps.
    Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Just got the email from one not too close but she is closing. Can saymthat i tried to stop in about a week ago. Was waiting for 20 min after opening and she was still not there. Kinda hard to shop when the shop keeper doesn't keep her hours which are posted.
    Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
    Power Poster

Here, Here! I absolutely agree!
    I try to stop in every so often and buy something even when I really don't need anything. I would hate it if they closed. I loved the personal touch and all the help they offer.