Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
    I love LQS fabrics,along with some goodies not seen in diff shops,but I can't afford to keep them in business,no matter how nice the fabric is.

I only shop good sales & clearaces.....regardless if it's a LQS or on line store.JMO
    I can't even afford Joanns most days. I hafta buy my fabric 2nd hand. I did find a LQS in a town 15 miles away, and bought a walking foot there. Now I need one for my Singer and Domestic, so I'll be back, but I can't really afford the $10+ yrd fabric there.
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I wish I could support my one (not so L) LQS. She charges upwards of $15 a yard for cotton fabric. I just can't afford that, and she won't let my DD who's 2 in her "pristine" shop because she's afraid of sticky fingers.
    What a shame that shop doesn't welcome little ones! A couple in our area have play corners to keep children amused while mom browses. My grandson loved them when he was little and headed straight for them whenever my DD and I shopped.
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM

i can't afford to support my LQS and most of my guild can't either.

they do not have honest pricing and the only way we can show our disappointment is to not shop with them any longer.

they have fabric on the shelves that are at least 8 years old and every year the price of these bolts go up along with everything in the shop.

they closed the shop for 2-3 days and they raise the price on everything in the store not just new inventory coming in.

a yard of fabric from the 8 year old bolts used to cost me $5 a yard and now its $14 a yard.

i am very happy shopping online for my fabric/notions and see absolutely no need for a LQS.
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
    I've read 4 pages of this thread and agree that we need to support locally owned businesses as much as we can. One little thing I try to do when shopping at a locally owned business is to pay cash rather than whipping out my plastic. I know the percentage a store has to pay the credit card company is not very much and probably won't mean the difference between make it or break it, I figure every little bit helps.
    Actually, it does make a difference. I always use cash too for the same reason. I spoke about this with my local sewing machine dealer (very nice man) and he said it does make a difference, and that he appreciates cash customers so much. ;)
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33
    I feel bad for them also-but being on soc sec for disability and a fixed income and no increase for 2 yrs in pay.the prices of everything has risen drastically I cannot afford the 15.00 a yd prices either.I have a huge stash and am de stashing to help pay bills.
    I also would love to shop in LQS but at the prices I can't . Yeah I also am on disability and since there has been no COL increase in the past 2 years I am struggling to pay for what I need too. And I am better off than a lot since I live with my brother. (not that I could afford not to)
    I will however get what I can when I can there. I just found one here. But needed to get my hair cut. LOL choices choices.
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM

All of our comments really point out that we need to be careful shoppers. Some quilt shops are good, some are not. We have to get what we can afford. It would be silly to patronize our LQS if they do not do business fairly or if we can not afford their merchandise. Takes all kinds to make the world, and apparently not all LQSs are the best places to shop. Next time I travel I will ask members of this board for advice on where to stop!
    Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I too think its not my responsibly to keep someone in business. I like going to LQS but if they want to stay viable in this tough market with rising commodity prices then they need to maybe find away to broaden their demographic market.

Offer more entry level classes, allow kids and husbands to come in the store or at least not make then feel like outcast for being there. Offer sales and special rewards. Offer some cheap basic level classes to get new people interested. And maybe "gasp" find some cheaper lines to offer those that can not pay 10+ a yard. If they can not get good prices on their own then they need to reach out to other LQS and form a co-op and have buying power together

but those are just my thoughts. Like I said I like going but I cannot afford more then 5$ or so a yard for most of my quilts
    Ditto. I know there are some lines that are less expensive and the fabric is lovely. One of them is Blank Fabric, but finding it in a LQS is like looking for frog's hair. froggyintexas
    Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM

I definitely do my part...typically a hundred at a time.

Seriously, we are definitely about to lose our small businesses. They cannot carry a reasonable inventory of quality goods without pricing higher than a chain store. Remember as small businesses, they still have expenses like the rest of us: utilities, rent or mortgage, plus personnel, bank services, advertising, cleaning, tax servicing, landscaping, insurances, snow removal (in 50% of the U.S.).

Plus you get personalized service where people try very hard to remember your name, ask about your project, and answer questions about machine quirks, sewing techniques, new products and suggest easier ways to do something, or alternative pallettes for a quilt. Many LQS employees have also been sent to special training (such as "thread school", digitizing, etc.)

Each purchase helps keep them going; so even if you pay 20c more for thread, it will keep an LQS in your area.
    Old 07-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
    I've read 4 pages of this thread and agree that we need to support locally owned businesses as much as we can. One little thing I try to do when shopping at a locally owned business is to pay cash rather than whipping out my plastic. I know the percentage a store has to pay the credit card company is not very much and probably won't mean the difference between make it or break it, I figure every little bit helps.
    I agree. I either pay cash or write a check!
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM

I recently had a conversation with a LQS owner about her business. We were chatting, I asked how business was(it's a fairly new shop). She was trying to stay positive but said she has not had a paycheck in over a year. She was considering more sales and other ways to get people into the store. I explained why I purchase on-line and go to sales. I told her I would prefer to shop with her but have to watch every cent. Unfortunately, quilting is a luxury hobby, not a necessity. We parted smiling but her heart wasn't in it. To make things worse, our local Walmart has fabric again.....it is frustrating.