Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by JanetM
    Originally Posted by Pat and pups
    I've read 4 pages of this thread and agree that we need to support locally owned businesses as much as we can. One little thing I try to do when shopping at a locally owned business is to pay cash rather than whipping out my plastic. I know the percentage a store has to pay the credit card company is not very much and probably won't mean the difference between make it or break it, I figure every little bit helps.
    Actually, it does make a difference. I always use cash too for the same reason. I spoke about this with my local sewing machine dealer (very nice man) and he said it does make a difference, and that he appreciates cash customers so much. ;)
    True, true, it DOES matter. Credit card companies take anywhere between 2.5% - 3.5% of the total sale. Figuring that 50% of the sale price was the cost of the fabric... that means the credit card company's "bite" is 5% - 7% of the store's profit.

'Course it matters! Wouldn't you like to be earning that 5% - 7% on your checking account? I sure would! :-D
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Another NH shop, Quilted Threads, has added an online store to their operation, but they have no plans on shutting the doors of their beautiful building. Peggy Anne's closing means the loss of a Bernina dealership as well.

I buy almost entirely from local shops, and not just for quilting stuff, because I'd much rather see my dollars stay in this area to help other local businesses and citizens. I believe in backing the home team. :)
    In addition to Quilted Threads (which is a good size quilt shop) - The Quilters Workshop in Newport NH (a small shop) has just opened an online store. In this day and age it will be the only way that any small businesses stay viable. They can no longer be only a brick and mortar store.
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 AM

Such an important message for all of us who love our LQS to hear and heed! Thank you!
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 AM

Times are tuff everywhere. I support my favorite lqs and occasionaly some others where I can, especially when I am traveling :)
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 AM

Although it is not my responsibility to keep anyone in business, I certainly believe in spending my money locally. I am very fortunate in that my LQS is very friendly.

Yes, the prices of fabric have gotten very high. So has the price of books, clothing patterns, thread, buttons, etc. I remember when a dress pattern cost $1.75. Now they're up to $13.00 or more. The worst part about that is the pattern pieces are printed on tissue paper!

If you have your choice between using a debit card or using a charge card, use your debit card. The percentage taken is much lower.
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 AM

We have an LQS in a neighboring town, about 25 minutes from here, and they have been in business for 43 years I heard the owner state on the phone yesterday while I was there and still going strong.

There prices are less than any other LQS I've ever been in, customer servcie is great, and always a great selection of fabrics. Also if you go in there and ask them for a certain brand fabric or type they will research and get it for you.

I use to buy my fabric at WalMart but quality is bad anymore so seldom will buy there anymore unless I find a piece that seems good quality for the price and I use to frequent Hancock's and JoAnn's but there prices are as high if not higher than this LQS has it and alot of there fabric is not much better than Walmarts for the most part so I travel in the opposite direction and buy most of my fabric at this LQS.

This LQS has folks traveling from surrounding towns and as far away is Jacksonville, Fl and some places in SC, AL to buy from her.

She is also fair to her customers. For instance if you pick up a bolt of fabric and you want 1 yard and there is say 1 1/2 yards on it or even 1 3/4 yard she will give it all to you for the price of a yard. She also has 3 areas in her store where she moves higher priced fabric to make room for new fabric and reduces it from $1.98 to $2.98 a yard from $5.95 to $8.95 a yard. She sells her quality high end fabric about $4 a yard less than other LQS.

I can buy a yard of fabric for $5.95 that is high end and Walmarts sells there's at that price and a much lesser quality fabric. I can buy a yard of the $7.98 a yard at this LQS and other LQS online and other areas have the same thing for $12.98 on up.

No wonder she has been in business for 43 years.......her prices are fair and they give great customer satisfaction. Yes even in these economic times she is doing well because she keeps her prices lower than other places therefore she gets repeat business. Also word of mouth brings in folks from out of this state to shop there when traveling. She was telling me recently that she sometimes gets phone calls from folks in other states wanting to buy and she ships it to them and she doesn't even have a presence online with the exception of folks like us telling others about the place.
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 AM

We have an LQS in a neighboring town, about 25 minutes from here, and they have been in business for 43 years I heard the owner state on the phone yesterday while I was there and still going strong.

There prices are less than any other LQS I've ever been in, customer servcie is great, and always a great selection of fabrics. Also if you go in there and ask them for a certain brand fabric or type they will research and get it for you.

I use to buy my fabric at WalMart but quality is bad anymore so seldom will buy there anymore unless I find a piece that seems good quality for the price and I use to frequent Hancock's and JoAnn's but there prices are as high if not higher than this LQS has it and alot of there fabric is not much better than Walmarts for the most part so I travel in the opposite direction and buy most of my fabric at this LQS.

This LQS has folks traveling from surrounding towns and as far away is Jacksonville, Fl and some places in SC, AL to buy from her.

She is also fair to her customers. For instance if you pick up a bolt of fabric and you want 1 yard and there is say 1 1/2 yards on it or even 1 3/4 yard she will give it all to you for the price of a yard. She also has 3 areas in her store where she moves higher priced fabric to make room for new fabric and reduces it from $1.98 to $2.98 a yard from $5.95 to $8.95 a yard. She sells her quality high end fabric about $4 a yard less than other LQS.

I can buy a yard of fabric for $5.95 that is high end and Walmarts sells there's at that price and a much lesser quality fabric. I can buy a yard of the $7.98 a yard at this LQS and other LQS online and other areas have the same thing for $12.98 on up.

No wonder she has been in business for 43 years.......her prices are fair and they give great customer satisfaction. Yes even in these economic times she is doing well because she keeps her prices lower than other places therefore she gets repeat business. Also word of mouth brings in folks from out of this state to shop there when traveling. She was telling me recently that she sometimes gets phone calls from folks in other states wanting to buy and she ships it to them and she doesn't even have a presence online with the exception of folks like us telling others about the place.
    Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 AM

I sure wish I could help keep the LQS in business! But when I see the same item at Joann's (with a coupon or not) for alot less it only makes sense to buy it cheaper. And I refuse to pay the high prices for a yard of fabric the LQS is asking. I can drive to garage sales, or look on Craigslist, Ebay, Joann's or Walmart. Plus, at this time I have enough stash where I really just don't need more unless I sell some then replace later. My LQS does not have good sales nor coupons. I just drop by to drool, then wipe myself clean and go where I can afford to buy.
    Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
    I believe it is those of us who buy the little things in a shop that keeps it afloat , even if your not out there buying large quanities of fabric, theres usually a sales area or a fat quarter , thread something. even if you only spend a 1.00 its more than they had a moment ago.

I agree! Our LQS has tables for sales stuff from $1.98 to $2.98 a yard and it's good quality fabric which was selling upwards to $8.98 or so a yard.

You don't have to buy large quantities but just keep going back and get a little of this and that.
    Old 07-07-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I wish I could support my one (not so L) LQS. She charges upwards of $15 a yard for cotton fabric. I just can't afford that, and she won't let my DD who's 2 in her "pristine" shop because she's afraid of sticky fingers.
    Even I would not pay $15 a yard. I'll pay up to $7.98 a yard if I really like what I see and want it. I also like to use coupons in stores that allow them (don't thinK LQS have coupons) but they do have sales areas.

As far as children goes now that I think of it can't say I've ever seen any in JoAnn's , Hancocks and even our Walmarts here when there are children the workers tell parents to control there children if they start pulling out fabric or touching it and such. And in the LQS I've never seen any child in there in all the times I've been there with the exception of my 8 yr old GD who loves to sew. I don't think children are forbidden in there.

These women that come in there are serious quilters and want there space and probably why they don't bring there kids or grandkids if they have any. It's like there heaven away from home. :-)

I did see at out local Walmarts the other day when talking with the department manager where a woman had two toddlers in her cart and they were just messing with the fabric pulling and tugging at it and one of them had chocolate all over her hands. The department manager pulled the brand new bolt and asked the lady if she was going to pay for that piece of fabric her child had just messed up with her chocolate. The mom was busy running her mouth with some other lady and not paying attention to her child. NOT SAYING EVERYONE'S CHILD does this kind of stuff because many parents do tend to there children but alot more don't so perhaps this LQS has had a bad experience in the past and reason she is not allowing children in her shop. It's usually not personal to anyone just a policy they have in there shops. Let's face it there are just some speciality stores that children do not belong in and reason for the policy.