Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Keep Your LQS in Business >
  • Keep Your LQS in Business

• Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 AM

I'm always sorry to hear about LQS closing ... I worked at 2 shops a few years back, and taught classes too.
    As convenient as online shops are, we all need to do our part to keep our good LQS going !!
    I buy things online that I can't find locally, or a particular fabric, but that can't replace the FUN of heading out for a Shop Hop with friends, or going to the local shop for classes, good advice, or to show off a newly done quilt. Fabric may be a bit more than online, but it's worth it to me to have that personal contact. I enjoy seeing what's new and catching up with friends. I know I'd sure miss them if they had to close ...
    and Yes I always use debit or cash too, helps them out !
    Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    they have fabric on the shelves that are at least 8 years old and every year the price of these bolts go up along with everything in the shop.

they closed the shop for 2-3 days and they raise the price on everything in the store not just new inventory coming in.

a yard of fabric from the 8 year old bolts used to cost me $5 a yard and now its $14 a yard.

i am very happy shopping online for my fabric/notions and see absolutely no need for a LQS.
    That is just CRAZY !! How are they still in business ? No shop should be marking up 8 YEAR OLD fabric ! But then, a GOOD shop shouldn't HAVE 8 year old fabrics. A SMART shop should have fabrics no more than 2 years old. That's what SALES & Bargain bins are for ! :roll:
    Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM

I always like to buy local as much as I can, but I can't afford to buy the majority of my stuff at the LQS. I do buy some things there, though, and am thankful that they're there! Last weekend I went to the big chain store and bought a couple of marking pencils- they were dreadful! I spent more time sharpening them than using them, and they applied terribly. So yesterday I stopped in at my LQS, winced at the cash register, and came home with a Sewline, which wasn't carried at the "cheap" store. SO much better! : )
    Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM

It's interesting that most of you seem to have a lot of local stores to support.Maybe it's the area of the country we live in.
    The hardware store is Lowes,the 3 groceries are all big chains,the only clothing stores left are Sears,Penneys & Walmart.Shoe stores, all chains, ditto for toy & card shops.Ditto for coffee & dougnut shops.We have a lot of chain restaurants & chain banks.Even the several rest homes are owned buy a big company of Drs.
    That leaves almost nothing left in our small town to support.There's almost no choice left in peoples daily lives.Just a fact of life.
    Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
    It's interesting that most of you seem to have a lot of local stores to support.Maybe it's the area of the country we live in.
    The hardware store is Lowes,the 3 groceries are all big chains,the only clothing stores left are Sears,Penneys & Walmart.Shoe stores, all chains, ditto for toy & card shops.Ditto for coffee & dougnut shops.We have a lot of chain restaurants & chain banks.Even the several rest homes are owned buy a big company of Drs.
    That leaves almost nothing left in our small town to support.There's almost no choice left in peoples daily lives.Just a fact of life.
    That's unfortunate that you feel so powerless. Trust me, yer not. When the price of soup went up, I made my own. When I got tired of all the comercial bread that's devoid of all possible fiber and nutrients, I began making my own. I make my own meat loaves, and grind my own hamburger too.
    If you don't like the big chain, big box, or other big conglomerate, you do not have to support them. Make yer own.
    I also make my own coffee cake that will make you wonder why you ever bought that cwap at the store.

I don't really have a LQS, unless I drive about 15 miles. We had one right in town here for a minute. I went there to buy thread and it was $8. I didn't go back, and the store closed within 6 months. I felt bad for them, but I can't buy an $8 spool of thread everyday.
    Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 AM

I live in a suburb of Houston ... we are lucky to have 3 nice LQS within 10-15 mi. Plus about a dozen others located all around Houston, 30-60 mi from me, so not exactly local. We have a lot of local businesses, retail, restaurants, shops etc. All the big box chains too, but a lot of smaller biz do well. I know the economy here in Texas is healthier than most, including MI.
    Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM

The hardware store is Lowes,the 3 groceries are all big chains,the only clothing stores left are Sears,Penneys & Walmart.Shoe stores, all chains, ditto for toy & card shops.Ditto for coffee & doughnut shops.We have a lot of chain restaurants & chain banks.Even the several rest homes are owned buy a big company of Drs.
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Which just supports the idea that you get what you pay for.
    Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    I always like to buy local as much as I can, but I can't afford to buy the majority of my stuff at the LQS. I do buy some things there, though, and am thankful that they're there! Last weekend I went to the big chain store and bought a couple of marking pencils- they were dreadful! I spent more time sharpening them than using them, and they applied terribly. So yesterday I stopped in at my LQS, winced at the cash register, and came home with a Sewline, which wasn't carried at the "cheap" store. SO much better! : )
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Visited one of our local quilt shops today (about 25mi travel) that was having a grand opening of their new shop.
    I was a cute shop to begin with...in an old building with lots of character but poor lighting, uneven floors, cramped and worst of all the classroom was up a flight of stairs that was a killer.
    New shop is spacious, well lit, airy, merchandise is well-displayed. Also has a great bathroom which is very important to some of us seniors! Classroom downstairs with lots of electrical receptacles on the floor at each table. How cool is that! The owner, Kathy, is so customer-oriented she had a customer who uses a personal mobility conveyance come in before the shop opened to try it out and see how handicapped-accessible it really was. How great was that!
    Now, you won't find any $4.00/yd fabric here although she
    does have a sale room. She also gives a discount to guild
    members. The four ladies who work for her are THE BEST.
    For me it is worth the ride (I am aware that some of you ladies will think 25mi is outrageous but this is a rural area)
    and the not-so-cheap fabric (again, I know some of you will find $9-10/yd fabric preposterous either financially or philosophically and that is very much your right) to get great service, current merchandise, and a great day out with my friends.
    Never saw a child in this store in its three years of operation but that's more a function of it's location and population demographics than anything. Kathy has several chairs in the store for quick time-outs or if you're waiting for your buddies to finish up shopping (or husbands!) and a couple of rocking chairs on the porch.
    Old 07-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    they have fabric on the shelves that are at least 8 years old and every year the price of these bolts go up along with everything in the shop.

they closed the shop for 2-3 days and they raise the price on everything in the store not just new inventory coming in.

a yard of fabric from the 8 year old bolts used to cost me $5 a yard and now its $14 a yard.

i am very happy shopping online for my fabric/notions and see absolutely no need for a LQS.
    That is just CRAZY !! How are they still in business ? No shop should be marking up 8 YEAR OLD fabric ! But then, a GOOD shop shouldn't HAVE 8 year old fabrics. A SMART shop should have fabrics no more than 2 years old. That's what SALES & Bargain bins are for ! :roll:
    This is not as rare as some might think. We have several LQS in our area doing the same thing..........however, the couple shops that are prospering, make it their job to cater to the customers. I'll pay extra for that.....when I can.